Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Funniest Moments From Narnia

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

My list of the funniest moments from the Chronicles-

From The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe, where Edmund is at the White Witch's house in the courtyard, and the chief of the Secret Police, Maugrim or Fenris Ulf (depending on what version you're reading), says,

"Come in! Come in! Fortunate favorite of the Queen- or else not so fortunate!"

Okay, it's kind of the one where the more I think about how dark it is, I find it kind of funny. It's like the Chief of the Secret Police is saying to Edmund, "Oh yes, you are so grateful, being a favorite of the Queen of Narnia, or else you might not be!" I also find myself feeling bad for Edmund. It's a bit of poetic justice... where he had been a bully to Lucy, teasing her about the wardrobe. At that moment, it's like he's in for it. So one could say it's dark, one could say it's kind of funny

From Prince Caspian, where King Miraz is talking with Glozelle and Sospesian, who tried to talk to him out of accepting the challenge from Peter.

"So I'm to be a dotard with one foot to the grave as well as a dastard!", roared Miraz, "I'll tell you what, my lords, with your womanish counsels, you have done the very opposite of your intent! I had meant to refuse it, but I will accept it! Do you hear, accept it! I'll not be shamed because some witchcraft or treason has frozen both your bloods!"

Miraz had manipulated his right hand men (two of them being Lord Glozelle and Lord Sospesian) into begging him to become king. Now he had gotten a challenge from Peter, he decided that he was going to accept. Reading a line like that, you know how bad tempered Miraz is. It seems that he is in for it now... after he had killed his brother Caspian IX and got rid of the noblemen who were loyal to Caspian IX until there was none left in Narnia. Oh, and even his own right hand men weren't all that loyal to him.

From The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, where King Caspian and his men showed up at Governor Gumpas's house, and Governor Gumpas says,

"No interviews without appointments except from 9-10pm on the second Saturdays!"

He had no idea that it was the King of Narnia who arrived. For the time being, it was like he was playing with fire. Saying the king's name and doing all things in the king's name, then King Caspian shows up. I suppose it's almost like Rishda from The Last Battle, where he says Tash's name just randomly, though not believing in Tash... then all of a sudden, Tash appears right in front of him. I find myself laughing at this line, because I wonder if he realized what he was saying.

From The Silver Chair, where Puddleglum is telling Eustace and Jill how the other marsh wiggles say he doesn't take life seriously enough.

"You're too full of bobbins and bounces and high spirits! You've got to learn that life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie! You want something to sober you down a bit!"

So it's like the other marsh wiggles keep telling Puddleglum that he needed to be more "glum" (no pun intended). I find myself laughing at this moment, because Puddleglum is willing to go on this quest with Eustace and Jill, because the other marsh wiggles thought, "Oh, don't take life seriously enough! Too full of energy!" So Puddleglum goes on the quest, and keeps alert as they go along.

From The Horse and HIs Boy (yet another dark side to it).. it's where Prince Rabadash is standing trial before King Edmund and King Lune. They offer him mercy, but would not accept it. Aslan appears before him, and tries to talk him into accepting the mercy of the good kings... Prince Rabadah just rambles on and on about how he would not rest.. then Prince Rabadash realized what was happening to him-

"Oh, not a donkey! Mercy! If it were even a horse- even a horse- e'en-a-hor-eeh-auh!" And the rest came out as a brey.

I find myself laughing along with the others about Prince Rabadash, yet at the same time, feeling really bad for him. He had wanted to marry Queen Susan, which of course, she turned him down, knowing the kind of person he was. It's a bit of poetic justice, Rabadash gets turned into a donkey out of anger and pride. I guess it's kind of like Eustace in Voyage of the Dawn Treader, after saying he's going to keep all the treasure to himself, then all of a sudden, he's a dragon. So it's like Rabadash was saying, "Oh, no! I'm a donkey!" Then all of sudden, he can't talk. I can almost imagine his humiliation where everyone in the court is laughing. I find myself laughing, but feel really bad for him.

From The Magician's Nephew, where Digory and Polly are with Fledge, where Fledge is eating some grass and says,

"Come on, you two! Don't be shy! There's plenty for all of us!"

"But we can't eat grass!", said Digory

"H'm, h'm", said Fledge, speaking with his mouth full, "Well- h'm- don't know quite what you'll do then! Very good grass too!"

I find myself laughing at this moment. Digory and Polly want to eat, but they can't eat like Fledge can, being a former horse named Strawberry who had turned into a flying one. It is at this point Digory and Polly planted some toffee and it turned into a toffee tree.

From The Last Battle, where Shift and Rishda are talking to crowd at a midnight meeting (there may a dark side to it, though) Shift says,

"Now, listen, all of you! A terrible thing has happened! A wicked thing! The wickedest thing that was ever done in Narnia, and Aslan-"

"Tashlan fool!", whispered Rishda Tarkaan.

"Tashlan, I mean, of course", said the Ape, "is very angry about it"

I can almost see Shift talking to the audience, and Rishda standing next to him.. Shift trying to say, "Hey, something terrible has happened! The wickedest thing happened in Narnia! Aslan", then Rishda says, "Ah, excuse me, but it's Tashlan." Then Shift says, "Oh, yes, I mean, Tashlan! He's so angry about all this!" It's funny, but may be a dark side. It may be that Shift's head isn't very clear after being taken to all that drinking. He had to go along with what Rishda says. So perhaps Rishda and Shift use the name "Tashlan", trying to come up with something impressive for both Narnians and Calormenes. I think Shift, after manipulating Puzzle into pretending to be Aslan, then gets manipulated by Rishda and Ginger. So it's bit of poetic justice there, like Shift is in for it. He used Puzzle as a puppet, but now he's being the puppet, and doesn't even know it. So I find it funny, then at the same time, there's a dark side to it

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 1, 2021 9:24 am
KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut

Haven't been back in almost a week, bit busy, so I've got to get used to getting back in the flow of things. 

My list of funniest Narnia moments is....

(1) From Prince Caspian when Edmund says, 

"Now," said Edmund, "what about those sandwiches?"
"Oh, hadn't we better have them?" said Susan. "We may need them
far worse later on."
"I do wish," said Lucy, "now that we're not thirsty, we could go on
feeling as not-hungry as we did when we were thirsty."
"But what about those sandwiches?" repeated Edmund. 

It's funny because Edmund repeatedly asks about the sandwiches, interrupting Lucy and Susan's conversation. 

(2) In VDT, when Eustace comes to Edmund and Lucy to annoy them: 

"You're not wanted here," said Edmund curtly.
"I'm trying to think of a limerick," said Eustace. "Something like
this:
"Some kids who played games about Narnia
Got gradually balmier and balmier — "
"Well, Narnia and balmier don't rhyme, to begin with," said Lucy.
"It's an assonance," said Eustace. 

Eustace, though extremely annoying, is funny to begin with, so seeing him annoy Edmund and Lucy, that scene always made me laugh. 

(3) Lastly, from LWW, it says: 

Peter held the door closed but did not shut it; for, of course,
he remembered, as every sensible person does, that you should never
never shut yourself up in a wardrobe.

It's funny because it seems such a random piece of advice. I mean how many people go into a wardrobe everyday? Giggle  

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 1, 2021 8:32 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @kingedthejust

It's funny because it seems such a random piece of advice. I mean how many people go into a wardrobe everyday? Giggle  

I've heard it pointed out that in giving that piece of advice, and repeatedly — it comes up, I think, at least four times within the first few chapters! — Lewis was probably thinking of young readers looking for Narnia in their own wardrobes at home and getting locked in there, and all the irate letters he'd be getting from parents if that happened... Wink  

@jasminetarkheena, did you catch this episode of the Talking Beasts podcast a few months ago: Top 10 Funny Moments in Narnia? I really enjoyed listening to it. Great idea to start a discussion here on the topic!

I think this came up in the podcast, but my number 1 favourite funny moment in Narnia has got to be this legendary exchange between Edmund and Lucy in Prince Caspian — it's just so typical of schoolyard boys-vs-girls banter and it pretty much goes to prove that Lewis himself, whatever some critics say, was NOT pushing the message that girls are inferior to boys...

"That's the worst of girls," said Edmund to Peter and the Dwarf. "They never can carry a map in their heads."

"That's because our heads have something inside them," said Lucy.

Grin

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2021 9:25 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Posted by: @courtenay

I really enjoyed listening to it. Great idea to start a discussion here on the topic!

Yes, I did listen to it. Fun to talk about this topic.

I do have some honorable mentions.

From The Silver Chair, (shout out to @gp for bringing this up in the podcast) where Glimfeather introduce Eustace and Jill to Trumpkin

"The girl's called Jill", said the owl as loud as he could

"What's that?", said the Dwarf, "The girls are killed! I don't believe a word of it. What girls? Who kill 'em?"

"Only one girl, my lord", said the Owl, "Her name is Jill."

"Speak up, speak up", said the Dwarf, "Don't stand there breezing and twittering in my ear! Who's been killed?"

"Nobody's been killed!", hooted the owl.

"Who?"

"Nobody!"

"All right, all right. You needn't shout. I'm not so deaf as of all that. What do you mean by coming here to tell me that nobody's been killed? Why should anyone have been killed?"

"Better tell him I'm Eustace", said Scrubb.

"The boy's Eustace, my Lord", hooted the Owl as loud as he could.

"Useless?", said the Dwarf irritably, "I dare say he is. Is that any reason for bringing him to court? Hey?"

"Not useless!", said the Owl, "Eustace"

It's a funny moment because you could tell how much time has passed between Prince Caspian and The Silver Chair, with Voyage of the Dawn Treader in between. Trumpkin is older, and obviously hard of hearing. "Jill" sounds like "kill" and "Eustace" sounds like useless.

From The Last Battle, where Shift is talking to the crowd of Narnians at Stable Hill-

"I hear some of you are saying I'm an Ape. Well, I'm not. I'm a Man. If I look like an Ape, that's because I'm so very old: hundreds and hundreds of years old. And it's because I'm so old that I'm so wise. And it's because I'm so wise that I'm the only one Aslan is ever going to speak to. He can't be bothered talking to a lot of stupid animals. He'll tell me what you've got to do, and I'll tell the rest of you. And take my advice, and see you do it in double quick time, for He doesn't mean to stand any nonsense."

I actually laugh at this because Shift is full of malarkey. He is dressed up, wearing a scarlet jacket, a paper crown, and jeweled slippers, which actually makes him look silly. He wants Narnians to think that he's not an ape but a man. That's how manipulative he is... he wants Narnians to think that he's a man because that will give him control over Narnia. I guess it's almost kind of like the White Witch in The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe, where she wants Narnians to think that she's a human, giving her the right to be Queen of Narnia. Not only Shift wants Narnian to think he's a man, but that he's going to be the only person that Aslan will talk to. He makes it sound like, "Oh, Aslan doesn't want to be bothered. You can't crowd around him."

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 2, 2021 10:16 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Giggle  

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 4, 2021 9:25 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

There a lot of moments in the Narnia books that make us laugh. Some of them even have a dark side, though. Like what I've said about at the midnight meeting, where Shift tries to say the name "Aslan" and Rishda tells him "Tashlan". I find it really funny, yet there is a dark side to it. It's poetic justice; Shift is a manipulator, having manipulated Puzzle into pretending to be Aslan. Now he is getting manipulated by Rishda and Ginger. So it is a satisfying moment.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 26, 2022 7:11 pm
Kokoro Hane
(@kokoro-hane)
NarniaWeb Regular

Maybe most of you will find this an odd choice, but I always laugh when Jill and Eustace's school is referred to as Experiment House, and whenever Lewis wrote "they did not do this at Experiment House" etc. I find it both funny but also sad, because it feels quite relevant. I guess also because at my old academy I remember them doing some odd things, and long after I left (I was homeschooled once the school became too expensive), they did even more odd things, so that whole Experiment House thing hits lol. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 28, 2022 12:43 am
Glenwit liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @kokoro-hane

Maybe most of you will find this an odd choice, but I always laugh when Jill and Eustace's school is referred to as Experiment House, and whenever Lewis wrote "they did not do this at Experiment House" etc. I find it both funny but also sad, because it feels quite relevant. I guess also because at my old academy I remember them doing some odd things, and long after I left (I was homeschooled once the school became too expensive), they did even more odd things, so that whole Experiment House thing hits lol. 

That is actually an interesting choice. I actually never thought of it. I was also a homeschooler, so I was pretty fortunate having not to deal with bullies. However, having been in children's ministry for a while, I had kids who had been a similar situation.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 19, 2022 3:20 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

No matter how many times I read it, this scene from The Magician's Nephew always has me rolling: the 1-day-old Talking Beasts of Narnia cornering Uncle Andrew and politely asking him if he's a vegetable or a mineral.  Then he faints and they somehow come to the conclusion that he's actually a tree, so they plant him.

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 20, 2022 1:33 pm
Kokoro Hane
(@kokoro-hane)
NarniaWeb Regular
Posted by: @glenwit

No matter how many times I read it, this scene from The Magician's Nephew always has me rolling: the 1-day-old Talking Beasts of Narnia cornering Uncle Andrew and politely asking him if he's a vegetable or a mineral.  Then he faints and one of them (perhaps the Jackdaw, don't remember) says "He's clearly a tree".  So they decide to plant him.

Oh my gosh I love that scene too! It's so silly but, it's one of those rare moments you gotta feel kinda bad for Uncle Andrew, especially the stated they found him in later xD

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 20, 2022 1:42 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Another funny moment I thought of was where Ahoshta who was now the Grand Vizier gets kicked around. It's kind of funny but there's also a dark side to it. I find myself laughing and also feeling bad for him.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 25, 2022 2:57 pm
The Bulldog
(@reshpeckabiggle)
NarniaWeb Regular

I just finished revisiting The Magician’s Nephew (for the twentieth? fiftieth? who’s counting?) time.  For the first time, however, I was struck at the comic absurdities of the creation account of Narnia. While the Lion is singing His wondrous song of creation, one of the most solemn and majestic moments imaginable, you’ve got these uninvited characters at stage left bickering about having a gun and shooting Him, you have arguments involving Digory, Uncle Andrew, and Jadis concerning the magic rings, and you the the heinous act of Jadis assaulting Aslan with the iron bar. To make a comparison, it would be like the Genesis creation account being witnessed not by the holy angels (as stated in Job), but by the Three Stooges whooping and bonking one another.  I don’t want to say that this is a FUNNY moment, but it has its tragicomic side and sure doesn’t say much good about fallen man (although Cabby Frank’s and Polly’s reactions are altogether admirable).  

…but Jill, who heard the Centaurs tapping with their hooves behind her, surprised him very much by flinging her arms around his thin neck and kissing his muddy-looking face, while Eustace wrung his hand. Then they both rushed away to the Centaurs, and the Marsh-Wiggle, sinking back on his bed, remarked to himself, “Well, I wouldn’t have dreamt of her doing that. Even though I am a good-looking chap.”

From The Silver Chair / The Healing of Harms chapter.

I am surprised this passage hasn’t been mentioned. It cracks me up every time I read it. Puddleglum the studmuffin!

I object to that remark very strongly!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2022 10:55 am
Col Klink, Kokoro Hane, Varnafinde and 2 people liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Then there's the dark side of humor. In The Last Battle, where Shift tries to say the name "Aslan", and Rishda tells him, "Tashlan", it makes me giggle and also nervously giggle. It's funny, but there's a dark side to it.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 3, 2022 2:02 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet — I know we've had a few quotes from The Horse and His Boy, but this exchange between Shasta and Aravis definitely made me laugh as a first-time (7-year-old) reader and still does. It's when Aravis is telling the story of her escape from her home and showing absolutely no pity over her servant girl's punishment. I'm not sure what reminded me of this just now, but it's surely one of the best smart comebacks in children's literature...

"I say, that was hardly fair," said Shasta.

"I did not do any of these things for the sake of pleasing you," said Aravis.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 28, 2022 11:11 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Maybe we should also address the dark side of humor. There are things that can make you giggle and nervously giggle.

I nervously giggle when the Chief of the White Witch's Secret Police (Maugrim or Fenris Ulf, depending on what version you've read) tells Edmund, "Come in, come in, fortunate favorite of the Queen- or else not so fortunate!" It could imply that Edmund was in serious trouble as well!

I also nervously giggle at the midnight meeting, when Shift addresses the crowd, "Hey, something terrible has happened! The wickedest thing that was ever done in Narnia! Aslan-" And Rishda goes like, "It's Tashlan!" And Shift is like, "Oh, yes, of course, Tashlan I mean- is angry about it!" It's poetic justice there! Shift had used Puzzle like a puppet, and now he's being the puppet for Rishda and Ginger! "Who's the puppet now?"

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 30, 2023 9:59 am
Share: