Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Favorite Narnian Female

Page 8 / 9
narnia fan 7
(@narnia-fan-7)
NarniaWeb Guru

I had difficulty choosing between Lucy and Jill but I vote Jill I've always found her to be one of if not the most rateable characters in the series.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 5, 2013 5:28 pm
aaronnz
(@aaronnz)
NarniaWeb Regular

I'm gonna say other and go with Jadis. She is so beautiful and Tilda makes a perfect character come alive.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 24, 2014 3:38 pm
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

While I also like Lucy and Aravis quite a bit, I chose Jill. She changes so much throughout the course of two books and it's wonderful to watch. Her story is also very inspiring for anyone who struggles with trust. She's also kind and forgiving to Puzzle, and shows great courage in The Silver Chair and The Last Battle. I think she's one of the most relatable female characters in the series; she messes up a lot, as we all do, but she learns from her mistakes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2014 9:35 am
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

Huge shocker, Lucy is in the lead by a large margin. ;)) Well, my vote contributed to that. :) Lucy has always been one of my favorite Narnian characters. She just embodies the best aspects of childhood--the innocence, the faith, the adventurous spirit.... To me, Lucy embodies the heart of Narnia, especially with her closeness to Aslan.

However, despite how much I like Lucy, she's actually only my favorite character by a slight margin. :P My second favorite (female) character is Aravis. I like how different she is from most of the other characters in the story--including the fact that she's Calormen, and therefore sees the world very differently from other characters. I also really like her because she has a strong sense of honor--for example, even though she doesn't really like Shasta, she doesn't even consider leaving Tashbaan without him. I also just like her character arc--like Bree, she learns humility, but not without losing any of the spirit that makes her so much fun. :P

I don't dare try to rank the characters beyond here, though, because I'm sure I'll have different opinions tomorrow. :P

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2014 3:27 pm
Elfiea
(@elfiea)
NarniaWeb Regular

Definitely Lucy! She always embodied a child-like faith that I want to emulate in my life. She always finds a good way to look at the world around her. I've always empathized quite deeply with her. :)

But a close second would have to be Jill! She's tough (and a bit stubborn and obstinate), but she grows so much throughout the series and becomes a really great person.

Thanks to daughter of the King for the avatar!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 12, 2015 2:13 pm
HazyHays
(@hazyhays)
NarniaWeb Regular

No doubt for me it is Lucy. She has the most wonderful loving and caring personality of all 4 of the Pevensie kids. Her sense of adventure is also something that is amazing to me. For someone so pint sized(even though she is taller than most in her class) she is very strong.

"Daughter of Eve from the far land of Spare Oom, around the bright city War Drobe, how would it be if you came and had tea with me?"~ Mr. Tumnus

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2016 7:38 am
Valiant_Nymph
(@valiant_nymph)
NarniaWeb Junkie

It is hard to choose between Lucy and Aravis, but although I am nothing like Aravis, I enjoyed her as a character. I admire her bravery, and I liked seeing her character arc!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 5, 2018 6:25 pm
JillPoleFriend
(@jillpolefriend)
NarniaWeb Nut

Jill Pole :) I find her relatable.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 10, 2018 11:41 am
Valiant_Nymph
(@valiant_nymph)
NarniaWeb Junkie

^ I find a lot of people say that, JillPoleFriend. What do you find relatable about her? Personally, I always felt I'd mess up the signs like Jill.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2018 4:42 pm
JillPoleFriend
(@jillpolefriend)
NarniaWeb Nut

The same thing, Valiant. I always thought I would mess them up, and that I'd be tempted by the warm baths in the giant city. :-s
I like seeing how she matured in LB though. And she's got a lot of spunk!

I have to say I'm not such a bit fan of Aravis though. I suppose she turned out alright in the end, but I was shocked by how mean she was to Shasta (and I suppose I just felt really bad for him, having been attached to his point of view). Why do you suppose she was so arrogant?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2018 4:46 pm
Valiant_Nymph
(@valiant_nymph)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I have to say I'm not such a bit fan of Aravis though. I suppose she turned out alright in the end, but I was shocked by how mean she was to Shasta (and I suppose I just felt really bad for him, having been attached to his point of view). Why do you suppose she was so arrogant?

I think I disliked Aravis at first as well. I think we are supposed to dislike her. As you said, we are already sympathetic to Shasta/Cor, so naturally we are hostile to someone who is unkind to him. I did notice on a recent read that she becomes annoyed with him after he claims that she is "only a girl." He makes the comment because he is relieved that she isn't some Calormen Lord, but I got the impression that she assumed he was demeaning her by the comment. Maybe she has gotten that kind of treatment before, and it is a sore spot for her. After all, she was almost forced into a marriage because she is female.

I came to appreciate Aravis after the fact. Even though she is arrogant, she doesn't abandon Cor. She also tries to be brave. And I admired her desire for something more than dresses and parties.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2018 5:03 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I'm very fond of both Jill and Polly, two ordinary girls who did the best they could in circumstances outside their normal experience. They stuck to their values, they spoke up for the truth. And they never gave up following Aslan and loving Narnia.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 12, 2018 11:18 am
Valiant_Nymph
(@valiant_nymph)
NarniaWeb Junkie

^ I agree Coracle. I like Polly because she seems very normal, but also has a lot of good sense. It is interesting that she criticizes Susan's misdirected desire to grow up in LB. She is the one who always seemed very mature from the beginning, so I suppose she is in a position to sense that Susan really misunderstands what it means to be mature.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 12, 2018 4:04 pm
Mingxy
(@mingxy)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I chose Susan, because with many different things, both good and bad, I can relate to her.

C.S. Lewis — 'Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen of Narnia.'

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2018 3:23 am
SSBN_Dawn_Treader
(@ssbn_dawn_treader)
NarniaWeb Regular

I agree with ValiantNymph's analysis of Aravis ; she may be an unpleasant character at first, but that is due to the conditions in which she and Shasta meet (she was going to kill herself, remember) and she's being called "only a girl" while she's a princess. Of course, she wants to leave that "lifestyle", but she was still raised through it.

It reminds me, in a radically different fandom, of Makise Kurisu in Steins;Gate. She's acting rough to the main character because the latter always taunts her and behaves like he's raving mad most of the time. Meanwhile, in the Steins;Gate 0 storyline, she only discovers Okabe when he's depressed, and although it doesn't shine a pleasant light on him and on people around him, he behaves more or less normally and Kurisu/Amadeus doesn't display any sign of being hostile/tsundere to him, because there's no reason to.

If you haven't watched/read Steins;Gate, then, I'm sorry for the useless paragraph (but if you have the time and if you're not allergic to anime, I can only recommend the series to you, it's absolutely great), but to the ones who know the story, I hope it makes sense and that it makes you understand my point of view.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2018 4:03 am
Page 8 / 9
Share: