Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Barefoot Magician

Page 1 / 2
Mklyz
(@mklyz)
NarniaWeb Regular

I've often wondered why does Coriakin always walk barefoot. It was mentioned a few times, but actually never explained.

Topic starter Posted : September 9, 2009 5:17 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

I’ve never wondered about that. It just seems right. I suppose he might just like to go barefooted. I prefer to leave my feet bare in the house (except in winter it’s too cold then ;) ). Ramandu also goes barefooted, so maybe it is has to do with being a star. (*) Or he could want to be able to move quietly. Generally, it is shoes that make footsteps loud. The Dufflepuds might go barefooted too. Their feet are described as having curled up toes, and the description is sort of from Lucy’s perspective so I would guess they would not have shoes on so the toes would be visible. In the picture they are wearing shoes though.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

Posted : September 10, 2009 7:22 am
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have never though about it. Well there is no shops/markets around on that island and he might not know how to make some.

Posted : September 12, 2009 10:32 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

Well, Jadis in the Magician's Nephew (according to all the pics showing her feet) is barefooted as well. That is odd to think about.. hmmm..

guess they just don't care for shoes.. lol..

~ jadis

Posted : September 13, 2009 2:21 pm
NaiadWaker
(@naiadwaker)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Hmm...
*ponders while nibbling her cookie*
Most likely he:
A. doesn't have anywhere to buy shoes
B. prefers no shoes
C. it has to do with being a STAR (*)

Posted : September 13, 2009 2:43 pm
Mklyz
(@mklyz)
NarniaWeb Regular

A. doesn't have anywhere to buy shoes

He got his clothes from somewhere, so guess he could get shoes as well. I think it's certain that he walks barefoot on purpose.

Topic starter Posted : September 14, 2009 7:52 pm
Valiant_Lucy
(@valiant_lucy)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I think it does have to do with being a star, actually. When the crew meet Ramandu, it's mentioned that he is barefoot as well. So maybe it's a star thing. Or perhaps they both just hated shoes? :p

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe

Posted : September 17, 2009 8:58 am
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

Ramandu's Daughter was also barefooted, so I'll go with it having something to do with being a star. Or at least part star. After all, stars don't need shoes!

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

Posted : September 24, 2009 3:24 pm
Mklyz
(@mklyz)
NarniaWeb Regular

Ramandu's Daughter was also barefooted

Was she? As far as I remember, it wasn't mentioned.

Topic starter Posted : September 26, 2009 4:50 am
NaiadWaker
(@naiadwaker)
NarniaWeb Junkie

He got his clothes from somewhere, so guess he could get shoes as well. I think it's certain that he walks barefoot on purpose.

But isn't it easier to make clothes than shoes? And maybe when Aslan somehow took him out of his position of a star, He gave Coriakin clothes. I mean, it's possible. He clothed Eustace.

Posted : September 28, 2009 11:52 am
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

Mklyz, now that I think of it, I don't think it mentions she's barefooted either. But the illustration shows her barefooted.

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

Posted : September 30, 2009 8:21 am
Mklyz
(@mklyz)
NarniaWeb Regular

I think it does have to do with being a star, actually. When the crew meet Ramandu, it's mentioned that he is barefoot as well. So maybe it's a star thing. Or perhaps they both just hated shoes? :p

By the way, same goes for the old Hermit in "Horse and his boy". Lucy, too, was barefoot on the ship, but she simply didn't have shoes.

Topic starter Posted : October 19, 2009 11:15 pm
Mklyz
(@mklyz)
NarniaWeb Regular

I suppose it can also have something to do with Coriakin being an "eccentric but wise", Dumbledore-like character. Such characters often have unusual traits and quirks.

Topic starter Posted : November 12, 2009 11:27 pm
Watziznehm
(@watziznehm)
NarniaWeb Junkie

If a Magician can make a whole meal appear from nowhere and make the meal really good as well then being a good magic tailor would be nothing. Clothes were probably the least of his issues.

When you picture a Magician which picture suits you best, a magician wearing elevator shoes, a magician wearing combat boots, or a magician with no shoes at all? Yeah, I thought so. I'm not saying that certain kinds of shoes don't go good with magicians but that magicians wearing no shoes at all should make perfect sense. One explanation of "why" may not be as good as another but that it just makes sense.

Sig by greenleaf23.

Posted : November 13, 2009 3:39 pm
Jill_of_Narnia
(@jill_of_narnia)
NarniaWeb Regular

Hmm I never really thought about him not wearing shoes...it just seemed natural. I guess he really doesn't have much need of them, living in his mansion with pleasant landscape on the island. It's also very difficult to imagine him with shoes, it seems like it would be a bit awkward and unnatural.

"The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended:this is the morning."
And as He spoke, He no longer looked to them like a lion.

Posted : November 15, 2009 1:42 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: