Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Archenland naming conventions

Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

Thought I'd post this here to see what everyone thinks. I'm a writer, also a Narnia fan, and have a number of writings on the Chronicles and Lewis on my website. I have a particular fascination for names, and in case there are any fanfic writers here, I have lists and lists of names for Narnian people, places, things. This is my second summer of concentrating on Narnia. There's a lot of older posts as well.

So, here I'm discussing twins born in Archenland and how they are named, or might be named. For reference, I use the original 1950s English language editions of the Chronicles (those published in England.)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 27, 2021 1:34 pm
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)
The Logical Ornithological Mod Moderator

Mod Note: Fan fiction is not permitted on NarniaWeb, but discussion about the naming trend of Archenlanders and speculation on what said names might look like is perfectly fine

I’ve always thought it hilarious that it could be considered canonical for Cor and Aravis to have a son named Ramen as their first born son “Ram the Great” a was perhaps the best ruler of Archenland

Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2021 8:42 am
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

@digorykirke, I could see the other son getting called Ramen the Tasty behind his back! Grin  

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2021 10:33 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @the-mad-poet

@digorykirke, I could see the other son getting called Ramen the Tasty behind his back! Grin  

Haha! Fortunately for him, I don't think Japanese-style noodle soup was ever a known thing in Archenland or Narnia (as it wouldn't have been a known thing in England in the 1950s when Lewis was writing the books)...

Mind you, off the top of my head, all or most of the Archenland-style second sons' names we hear of have an -in suffix, not -en. In HHB, we have Cor and Corin — and Cor, when he explains the naming convention, points to Dar and Darrin and Cole and Colin as other examples. So I'm guessing Ram's younger brother would more likely have been Ramin or Rammin. But we don't know.

We're also not told if there's any similar naming convention for girls in Archenland... in fact, now I think about it, I'm pretty sure we don't get introduced to any named women in Archenland at all. Shocked Now there's something Lewis could have filled us in on and didn't (though maybe some fan-fic writers have)! Do first daughters have a one-syllable name and second daughters have the same name with a suffix (perhaps it's -ina for girls — I'm imagining, say, Mel and Melina)? And what about third sons and third daughters, or even more after that... what are the traditions for names in larger Archenland families?? I don't think I ever thought about this before, but now I can't stop wondering... Giggle  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2021 8:49 am
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @courtenay
Posted by: @the-mad-poet

Haha! Fortunately for him, I don't think Japanese-style noodle soup was ever a known thing in Archenland or Narnia (as it wouldn't have been a known thing in England in the 1950s when Lewis was writing the books)...

Mind you, off the top of my head, all or most of the Archenland-style second sons' names we hear of have an -in suffix, not -en. In HHB, we have Cor and Corin — and Cor, when he explains the naming convention, points to Dar and Darrin and Cole and Colin as other examples. So I'm guessing Ram's younger brother would more likely have been Ramin or Rammin. But we don't know.

We're also not told if there's any similar naming convention for girls in Archenland... in fact, now I think about it, I'm pretty sure we don't get introduced to any named women in Archenland at all. Shocked Now there's something Lewis could have filled us in on and didn't (though maybe some fan-fic writers have)! Do first daughters have a one-syllable name and second daughters have the same name with a suffix (perhaps it's -ina for girls — I'm imagining, say, Mel and Melina)? And what about third sons and third daughters, or even more after that... what are the traditions for names in larger Archenland families?? I don't think I ever thought about this before, but now I can't stop wondering... Giggle  

That's food for thought.

Maybe, after Aravis became Queen, there was a fad for Calormene female names among the nobility, and over time these trickled down into the middle class, becoming anglicized (or Archenlandized) along the way.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 10, 2021 12:47 pm
Courtenay and coracle liked
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

We only get two feminine Calormene names, Aravis and Lasaraleen, but I've noticed they both have "ara" in them. (Well, I guess there's also Zardeenah, which has an "ar" but no "ara.") Maybe that's a naming convention. It's subtle but weirdly specific. 

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2022 8:36 pm
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

I hadn't thought about "ara". It could just be a syllable-phrase the Calormene language used a lot. I didn't notice only three females are named, but many males. Granted most of them are male ancestors of the characters or peopple that died in battle.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 20, 2022 10:05 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Ooh, fun topic!

I think in Archenland, siblings can almost have rhyming names or ones that sound similar, like Cor and Corin, Dar and Darrin, Col and Colin. It's almost similar to Lord of the Rings, where it had Aragorn son of Arathorn or two brothers named Boromir and Faramir.

So in Archenland, there's a lot of rhyming names and even simple names. Maybe Lilia for a girl or Daryl for a boy.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 13, 2023 7:42 pm
Share: