Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Will Walden make more Narnia movies????????

Page 5 / 6
Anhun
(@anhun)
NarniaWeb Nut

No, Clone Wars isn't episode seven, it's more like Episode 2.5. It's basically a same-universe series (the movie is based on a fairly popular cartoon) that takes place in between the events of Episode 2 and Episode 3.

Posted : August 12, 2011 11:53 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

Has anyone here seen Walden's (well Warner/New Line) "Journey to the center of the earth"? It was on TNT last night. The movie started out sanely. But by the time they reached "the center of the earth" after the first hour, it just became ridiculous. This was a terrible sci-fi film to me. It made the genre look idiotic. I felt idiotic for watching it, sometimes flipping the channel because of the plot's stupidity. The Narnia movies are the high-end of fantasy, much classier than "Journey"! VDT is a beautiful film by comparison! I can't believe this thing made $240million! /:)

Posted : August 19, 2011 10:43 am
Louloudi the Centaur
(@louloudi-the-centaur)
Member Hospitality Committee

Has anyone here seen Walden's (well Warner/New Line) "Journey to the center of the earth"? It was on TNT last night. The movie started out sanely... it just became ridiculous. This was a terrible sci-fi film to me. It made the genre look idiotic. I felt idiotic for watching it, sometimes flipping the channel because of the plot's stupidity. The Narnia movies are the high-end of fantasy, much classier than "Journey"! VDT is a beautiful film by comparison! I can't believe this thing made $240million! /:)

This is why I think Walden should do at least one more Narnia film. In fifth grade, we watched this movie, and even though I was only 10 years old at the time, even I felt it was very stupid and disgraceful to the the author of the book! I can't believe that was even adapted by the same company that adapted Narnia to the big screen. At least VDT felt, to me anyway, reminiscent to the book. Besides, it was at least a better film than it. And another thing that upsets me is that on Rotten Tomatoes, JttCotE has a score of 61%, and VDT has a score of only 49% the last time I checked.

I thought VDT was a much better family film than quite a few of them nowadays. I can't believe that Yogi Bear made as much as VDT domestically just because of marketing, and now it is sadly getting a sequel. Do some research before you see a film. At least VDT got mixed reviews, which is better than the panning reviews that Yogi got. Why is it always the bad films that do better?

Now I'll admit I am no where near the most knowledge filled about Narnia, movie making, or anything, here is what I now think.If Walden cared for family films and the families watching them, I think they will do another Narnia film. Even if it were a bad adaption, I would definitely watch a Narnia film over another Yogi Bear or The Smurfs. At least Narnia has a good moral in each film, even some that we might not notice the first viewing. I certainly did. Yogi Bear and Journey to the Center of the Earth definitely had nothing memorable or original. I repeat. Walden Media, if you care about families and the films they watch, do another Narnia film.

Posted : August 19, 2011 11:07 am
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Journey made big returns at the box office, thus it gets a sequel. (Part of the reason it made big money was because it was a 3D film before 3D was cliche.)

One hint about Journey: It isn't meant to be taken seriously. The reason people like it is because it is a lighthearted comedy, not because it is a realistic sci-fi. :p

Journey is a lot like Walden's earlier foray into Verne territory: Around the World in 80 Days, -a comic take on an old classic. (Journey is the better of the two.)

Anyway, back to the matter at hand: I predict that if Walden does give an official green light, it will be soon after the 3D blu-ray release. -Which will be available in just a few minutes actually. Everybody keep your eyes pealed for some news tomorrow.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

Posted : August 29, 2011 6:55 pm
Anhun
(@anhun)
NarniaWeb Nut

So we have another unconfirmed report from a random Narniawebber. This one, says that s/he is in contact with Walden, rather than Gresham. The word is that Walden has shelved Narnia, rather than dropping it. They also say that they have "bigger projects" to work on.

Posted : September 5, 2011 3:14 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

Anhun, where did you see this?

Posted : September 6, 2011 11:06 am
Anhun
(@anhun)
NarniaWeb Nut

The narniawebber is named Talvi and he/she posted under the lastest Narnia movie news.

Posted : September 6, 2011 2:58 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Bigger projects than Narnia? /:) I doubt it. The only possibility that I can think of off-hand is The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

A quick internet search reveals The Bernstein Bears and The Family Circus as well, but nothing else that I would consider on par with Narnia.

I'm still awaiting some official word.

Posted : September 6, 2011 7:03 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

Walden Media is advertising the release of one of its movies on DVD and Blu-ray. It is advertising that it has the rights to develop Flat Stanley, though I can't find this movie reference on IMDb, and it has announced the casting of Johnny Weston in Mavericks, which is apparently due to be filmed in 2012. Also, it is developing a film of Rex Libris, a comic book strip. I don't know how any of these movie ventures could be considered bigger than Narnia, though.

The Mavericks IMDb board was last updated on 31st August, the day after the VDT 3D release. But, so far, the Walden page hasn't been updated past 15th August. I did read that Talvi remark, and I would take it seriously, insofar that they haven't a sequel in the works right now. That doesn't mean they have shelved the idea indefinitely, though I can't be sure of that. I've been contemplating writing to them myself, however, I'd be posting from Australia.
I'd like to see something about the steps necessary before a film gets greenlit. Do we know this? And has it been on Narnia web news before?

Posted : September 7, 2011 12:34 am
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I wrote some emphatic words in a post that can be read at the top of page 2 of this thread. Three months later, I'll say some of my confidence has waned, but I largely still agree with myself. There is only one thing that I've changed my mind on:

I no longer think that this is a battle of the wills about faithfulness of adaptation. Of course I think that Gresham is working for faithfulness to the story, but I also think that his working relationship with the other producers is too close for me to suggest that he would hold up the production for 9 months. It was a little arrogant on my part to suggest such a thing, which was based more on my own disappointment with Dawn Treader's adaptation than on any statement from Gresham himself, and I apologize.

I think perhaps we all haven't been sensitive enough to how Mr. Moore's passing has impacted the production. He was the driving force behind Wardrobe, and it would be fair to say he was a key player behind the entire Narnia series, including the future films which are yet to be made. It would be natural to expect a delay in production after the man behind the series passed away.

But seven months of delays? I think it would be daft to believe that there isn't more going on behind the scenes than we presently know, but of course we have no way of telling if this long wait for official news is nearly over, or only beginning.

Right now, I think it would be safe to say that the majority of Narnia fans believe the as-yet-unconfirmed rumor from June that Walden dropped the franchise. 3 months after the rumor was posted, I wonder: Is it safe to believe it now?

As far as the Narnia films are concerned, I think I'll always come down on the side of optimism as I read spoilers and news reports, but that said, at this point we still have no credible evidence that Walden has dropped the franchise. Thus, since nothing has been officially stated, I see no reason to believe the rumor and I trust that negotiations, and development of The Magician's Nephew is still ongoing.

Glumpuddle brings up an excellent point in saying that it is unlikely that Walden will make an official statement declaring that they have dropped Narnia. Thus, living in denial is probably silly after a reasonable amount of time has passed without news, but I still think, given the evidence before us, that it is too soon to give up on Walden. After all, "No news is good news" and the official word from Walden is still that they are hoping to (even enthusiastic about) continuing the Narnia series. After watching Michael Flaherty's discussion at the NRB convention I'd say he certainly sounds enthusiastic about, even proactive in, future Narnia movies. Paul Martin has spoken personally with the producers and they assure us that "negotiations can be both very long and very frustrating at times, but that these things are completely normal in the film industry." With that said, I think I'll continue to trust that Walden is interested in making these films, -at least, I'll believe for another two years or so.

Surely if Walden had decided to discontinue the franchise, they wouldn't have denied it when questioned. On the other-hand, Narniafans has recently reported a rumor that contradicts the one stating that Walden has no new Narnia films in development. Can we believe this new rumor? Probably about as much as the old one. Still, it is something that fills this incredibly long news drought, and it very well may be a catalyst for getting a few answers about what is really going on.

UPDATE:
I was right about one thing: Larry Richman's rumor that Fox and Walden had two Narnia films in development was a catalyst for getting some answers. This morning Tirian posted a news story explaining what caused the panic in June, and he also gives a fair projection of what we can expect in the future on Narnia films.
His story is quite illuminating and now we Narnia fans can start asking the right questions.

Posted : September 26, 2011 8:02 pm
D-T
 D-T
(@d-t)
NarniaWeb Regular

I think another company will pick up where Walden left off ;)

So we have another unconfirmed report from a random Narniawebber. This one, says that s/he is in contact with Walden, rather than Gresham. The word is that Walden has shelved Narnia, rather than dropping it. They also say that they have "bigger projects" to work on.

Cover-up! alllllll the way

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSS

Posted : October 1, 2011 2:53 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

OK, so... just when we thought we knew something concrete...

NarniaFans has posted a story stating that they have evidence contradicting what Tirian has posted on the front page. Talk about a roller coaster.

So now it seems we are back to square one. Nobody seems to know what's going on.

http://www.narniafans.com/archives/12219

PS: I love his ending line: "And remember, as folks have pointed out in the comments, we still have the books our imaginations and each other."

I know that from following NarniaWeb for the past few years I have gained a few friends that I expect to continue corresponding with for quite some time. Whether or not there are future movies, at least I know that I will still have the pleasure of having made acquaintances with people I've met in the forums.

Posted : October 1, 2011 8:13 pm
D-T
 D-T
(@d-t)
NarniaWeb Regular

I guess nobody knows what the heck is going on, it could be year 4999
before we see the next movie! (and we'll all be dead so it won't matter!!)
ugh, I don't like saying this but I think VDT is the last Narnia movie. :(

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSS

Posted : October 2, 2011 6:07 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

I hate being clueless! :P

there's an interview with Douglas Gresham today at 1pm EST!
http://news.mymiddle-earth.net/2011/10/ ... s-gresham/
maybe he'll tell us something! :D :D

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Topic starter Posted : October 15, 2011 4:08 am
PuddleCheep
(@puddlecheep)
NarniaWeb Regular

Heard the news from Mr. Gresham. Not another Narnia movie for another movie for 5 more years I guess. Unless when the rights are available to be bought, the company that buys it gets really excited about it and starts production immediately. That would be great!!

We have nothing, if not belief!

Posted : October 15, 2011 9:28 am
Page 5 / 6
Share: