Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Will Walden make more Narnia movies????????

Page 2 / 6
PuddleCheep
(@puddlecheep)
NarniaWeb Regular

I remember reading this on Facebook and was dumbstruck! I didn't like VDT but that didn't mean I didn't want Walden to stop making them! But I was very relieved to find out it was a false rumor.

I hope that Fox/Walden will get the gears turning for MN. And I hope that Mr. Gresham makes sure they keep the story 75% true to the book, unlike VDT's 40%.

Posted : June 23, 2011 3:54 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I'm not impressed. I don't believe it. It sounds too terrific. Nothing we have seen up to this point indicates that Walden wants to drop the franchise. In fact, it indicates the opposite. Only 2 months ago Walden announced that they would be doing MN. Narnia is their most successful (one might argue only successful) franchise. I doubt the studio would change their minds and drop the franchise in 2 months.

As to why the negotiations are taking this long: Gresham is obviously working for a more faithful adaptation this time around. Right now he has all the power and he's evidently using it. Smart move on his part, because after he allows Fox/Walden to make the film, he'll lose most of his power and just become one of many producers. The longer the negotiations the better, I say. I think it is silly to doubt that other Narnia films will be made because negotiations are taking 6 months (only 2 months since DVD release). The Hobbit was in negotiations for 6 years! Did anyone doubt that film would be made?

It isn't like there are 10 men sitting around a table from 9 to 5, five days a week debating. I'm sure meetings are weekly, biweekly or even less frequent. In the mean time, let us not assume that no work is being done on the next movie. It is quite possible that they are writing and rewriting drafts of the script to bring to the discussions. And we already know that Perry Moore was securing funding before he died. All of this is part of the negotiation process. Everything that is happening with this movie sounds completely normal. I'm not going to get upset because an unspecified source claims that Walden is dropping out, especially since the President of the company has been so enthusiastically publicizing the continuation of the series and the official word from the studio is that they are continuing to pursue the franchise.

Paul Martin sheds a little more light on the subject here:
http://www.narniafans.com/archives/12113

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

Posted : June 23, 2011 9:03 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

As Walden has publicly stated that they have NOT dropped Narnia, I went ahead and changed the title of this thread to better reflect the current situation.

Posted : June 24, 2011 4:52 am
SilverSea
(@silversea)
NarniaWeb Nut

Let's all just wait until Walden makes an official press announcement.

Posted : June 24, 2011 7:50 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

@Movie Aristotle. You are so right. Most of the participants in such discussions have other things to do and in the case of Walden and Fox, other movies to make as well. I'm also sure that when discussions do take place, they can get heated at times.

Only 2 months ago Walden announced that they would be doing MN. Narnia is their most successful (one might argue only successful) franchise. I doubt the studio would change their minds and drop the franchise in 2 months.

I thought the rumour was a bit strange, to tell the truth. It wouldn't be Walden who would drop the franchise, since it is they who have bought the film rights to the movies. I was more afraid that Fox would pull out, the way Disney did, after PC.

In any case I would be surprised to see any announcement until after the end of the financial year (June 30th), to allow the participants to get the yearly reports etc out the way. As impatient as we are to see an announcement, I wouldn't expect one until mid July at soonest. Possibly not until after the release of the final Harry Potter movie, after which an announcement might make a little more impact. Especially if Fox/Walden do proceed with a fourth Narnia film.

As Walden has publicly stated that they have NOT dropped Narnia, I went ahead and changed the title of this thread to better reflect the current situation.

Good! Thank you! :)

Posted : June 24, 2011 11:35 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Walden have not bought the rights, they just hold them at present.
What Walden considers is the situation could be different from how it is seen by the C.S.Lewis Co (who DO own the rights).
I think it is likely we will hear an official word from the C.S.Lewis Co AND Walden in the not-too-far future. But nobody hold your breath!

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : June 24, 2011 6:05 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

Good to see you, coracle. Yes, you are right about the rights. :D

Posted : June 24, 2011 7:38 pm
Anhun
(@anhun)
NarniaWeb Nut

What does "holding the rights" mean? How much control does the Lewis Estate actually have?

Posted : June 25, 2011 3:12 am
stateofgreen
(@stateofgreen)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I'm guessing "holding the rights" means not being the actual "owner" of them. So that Walden holds rights to make movies out of the books but not the copyrights to the actual books themselves?

Information on intellectual property rights and copyright:
http://www.wipo.int/freepublicationsen/ ... ranslation

Maybe Coracle can report how much control the Estate has over greenlighting more movies?

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq
Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club
Great Transformations-Eustace Scrubb

Posted : June 25, 2011 10:54 am
Evelyn
(@evelyn)
NarniaWeb Regular

Well, it's hard to say it, but I'm almost relieved. Almost.

I love Narnia, and I want more moives, but I don't want them all to be a flop. At least they made the ones with all the Pevensies in them.

It's weird to think that someday, when I'm an adult, they might make them over again. Skandar is Edmund. Georgie is Lucy. Anna is Susan. William is Peter. In my eyes anyway.

I don't want Narnia to end. But people love it so much, so I guess there is hope. Maybe someone else will pick it up?

Okay, now I'm having second thoughts about my first line. Narnia can't end like this! Just one more really good movie!

Merry Christmas!

"I'm here to save Elizabeth!" ~ Will Turner

Posted : June 26, 2011 9:06 am
Louloudi the Centaur
(@louloudi-the-centaur)

My response: Who knows? I wish I could just get a peek into how negotiations go on between Walden/Fox. If I could, I would watch the talks and see how each meeting, I'll call it, begins and ends. My question: How far will these negotiations go on? Months, years, decades(okay, decades is pushing it :p ). It can take awhile for movies to get sequels, or even just films up. Disney's The Little Mermaid, for example, was being developed while Walt Disney was still alive, and the final product came out in 1989 I believe.

A final closing question: How easily would Walden Media give up their most successful/ only successful franchise?

I really just don't know what else to say really. :|

Posted : June 27, 2011 3:42 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

My question: How far will these negotiations go on? Months, years, decades(okay, decades is pushing it :p ).

You never know how long a movie can be stalled before it's greenlit. Just look at The Hobbit. People were starting to think it would never be made.

The problem is... I don't think anyone -- viewers, filmmakers, production companies -- really believe in the Narnia movies anymore. :( And who can blame them? Ticket sales go down farther with each movie. Book fans don't like them because they're not accurate enough. And non-book fans don't like them because they think they're boring or childish. Teens and older think it's for little kids. And the parents of younger children a lot of times don't take their kids for the dumbest reasons, like "it's too scary". 8-|

The filmmakers aren't finding the right balance and they know it. :/

~Riella =:)

Posted : June 27, 2011 4:20 pm
Lucy of Narnia
(@lucy-of-narnia)
NarniaWeb Guru

Try to please everybody and you end up pleasing nobody...

Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!

Posted : June 27, 2011 4:59 pm
Josh
 Josh
(@josh)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Although I am sick to death of the endless "reboots" coming out, I'd say the best thing for the series is to just let it die so they can reboot it. Of course they need to wait like 20 years so that the original film dies out of people's memories.

And I think it would be a good idea to start with the Magician's Nephew to keep the series from following the same path as Walden's films.

Winter Is Coming

Posted : June 29, 2011 5:51 pm
ramagut
(@ramagut)
Member Moderator Emeritus

Disney's The Little Mermaid, for example, was being developed while Walt Disney was still alive, and the final product came out in 1989 I believe.

Totally off topic, but just a correction: Walt Disney died in December of 1966, but yes, The Little Mermaid came out in 1989 and was the rebirth of the good Disney animation. Then they started downhill again. Then they teamed up with Pixar and the movies were good again.

I think it wouldn't be a bad thing to leave the Narnia movies as is. It is sad to say, but I think making another one right now would be a bad idea. But, maybe in years to come, they will find their way and make the adaptations well. And maybe start with the MN so it's like a totally different series.

But, for now, we must wait.

Love God, love people

Posted : June 30, 2011 3:47 am
Page 2 / 6
Share: