Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] MN Being Made, SC Script Being Written

Page 2 / 3
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

coracle & fantasia_kitty: so Walden doesn't hold the rights anymore? I need real proof! I know Walden signed a contract on December 7, 2001. When does/did it expire? I'm thoroughly confused, since this directly contradicts what Paul Martin reported on NarniaFans, and what that reporter said on Twitter. I actually talked to that guy on Twitter on Saturday (via SkandarGeorgie). He pretty much told me what he told to Paul...

Anyway, I wrote an open letter to Walden and the Estate on my Yahoo! blog. Click here to read it.

:-s :- :-??

Posted : September 26, 2011 11:58 am
Anhun
(@anhun)
NarniaWeb Nut

On the one hand, the Narniafans source is a journalist, yes. On the other hand, he's not reporting his information in a proper periodical or other publication that is held to standards of authenticity. So, I say in this instance he's not any more credible than coracle.

several other fan sites asked Walden if it was true and the Walden people didn't seem to know!

Actually, the Walden people said that they were still trying to negotiate with the C.S. Lewis Estate. If coracle and kitty are right and Walden's Narnia rights expired, does that automatically mean they have permanently lost their chance to make the other 4 books into movies? Or is it possible that the negotiations they were talking about revolved around trying to regain the rights with a new contract?

Posted : September 26, 2011 12:53 pm
Glumpuddle
(@gp)
News Poster, Podcast Producer

There's really nothing here we didn't already know. MN is "in development" (translation: people are sitting around a table going "uhh, what now?"). I guess if an SC script is being written, that would be news, but not that surprising.

There will never come a day when it is officially announced there will be no more Narnia films.

But lets face it, even if another film is green-lit, the situation doesn't look good. The fact that we have heard nothing strongly indicates that the parties involved are not happy, and that there is very little confidence in a fourth film.

YouTube.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle

Posted : September 26, 2011 4:51 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I don't believe it. Sorry. They cited IMDb as a source. So lets compare, Walden and the C.S. Lewis Estate vs IMDb. Hmm... I wonder.

The last thing we heard officially from Walden was that they "stated emphatically that they are still pursing another Narnia film and that they are continuing discussions with the C.S. Lewis Estate to make that a reality." And we haven't heard anything official from the C.S. Lewis Estate saying that the films would not continue through Walden, -unless you have some insider information that hasn't been shared?

A while ago some truthful information was obtained and presented on Narniaweb, stating that Walden was no longer making Narnia films.
This has not changed.

Actually this was changed. There have been two updates to the story more-or-less negating the statement that Walden had dropped the franchise.

I am the person who obtained the information from the official source, and I assure you that Walden no longer has the rights.

Intriguing. I don't doubt you, but would it be possible to clarify who your official source is?

I apologize to everyone for the confusion, which I fully admit I played a part in. We were hoping to wait to post a news story to clear things up until we got some official information we could share publicly, but it looks like at this point that's not about to happen. Tirian and I will see what we can do.

We certainly forgive you. Could happen to anyone. We would appreciate an update though, even if it is a "no news" story. Even after reading this thread I'm still confused as to what happened in June to prompt the news story that Walden had dropped the franchise. :-

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

Posted : September 26, 2011 5:58 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

On the one hand, the Narniafans source is a journalist, yes. On the other hand, he's not reporting his information in a proper periodical or other publication that is held to standards of authenticity. So, I say in this instance he's not any more credible than coracle.

several other fan sites asked Walden if it was true and the Walden people didn't seem to know!

Actually, the Walden people said that they were still trying to negotiate with the C.S. Lewis Estate. If coracle and kitty are right and Walden's Narnia rights expired, does that automatically mean they have permanently lost their chance to make the other 4 books into movies? Or is it possible that the negotiations they were talking about revolved around trying to regain the rights with a new contract?

I have been a journalist and know about accuracy and discretion in reporting.
I am also in the awkward position of having information that is unpopular (but still true) while I cannot disclose my source. But as a mod here since early 2004, I assure you I have been truthful - and that I not only love Narnia but am very keen to see more films made.
The problem in Walden seemed to be that the people making comments did not seem to up to date with the information (which happens in large organisations sometimes).
I do not know whether Walden will be offered the chance to regain the rights in the future; this is the only possible scenario I can think of in which they would be making new films. It doesn't seem likely at the moment.

Tirian and Fantasia were hoping for a full announcement to be made, but I am beginning to think Walden may not make one.

Movie Aristotle, you asked:

Actually this was changed. There have been two updates to the story more-or-less negating the statement that Walden had dropped the franchise.

and
coracle wrote:I am the person who obtained the information from the official source, and I assure you that Walden no longer has the rights.

Intriguing. I don't doubt you, but would it be possible to clarify who your official source is?

1. What I was saying was that the information I reported had not changed - the facts had not changed. Responses to the facts did not change the facts.
2. Sorry but if it had been all right to identify my source, this whole uncomfortable patch would not have happened. And I'm not playing "I know something you don't", I just don't have the right, even though I was assured that the information was correct.

Even after reading this thread I'm still confused as to what happened in June to prompt the news story that Walden had dropped the franchise.

3. What happened was that I was told the information. I checked what I had been told, and asked if it could be mentioned on Narniaweb. As I was given permission I notified the moderators and a brief story was posted.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : September 26, 2011 8:01 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

Here is the update you want:

http://www.narniaweb.com/2011/09/the-next-narnia-film-where-we-are-now/comment-page-1/#comment-48620

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : September 27, 2011 7:58 am
Louloudi the Centaur
(@louloudi-the-centaur)
Member Hospitality Committee

Hey, let's not give up hope. In Prince Caspian, the Pevensies were in denial that Aslan was not there, but yet Lucy persisted on, and there He was.

Even if the Narnia movie franchise is in halt position at the moment, I'm going to keep persistently visiting NarniaWeb and other news sources for Narnia until I find what I'm looking for.

I will also be a dedicated book fan even if there are no more films to ever see the light of day. We all know the stories of the books will be forever read, even if no more films are being filmed.

Be strong. Think of Aslan. Think of Narnia.

Posted : September 27, 2011 11:38 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

@Louloudi: Thank you! I completely agree! And I love the PC illustration because it fits perfectly. PC was all about faith in Aslan, faith before sight, and now Narnia fans have to exercise that faith. I firmly believe the old Walden franchise has died, but God will resurrect it with someone else. :)

BREAKING NEWS
Middle-earth Network tweeted the following 2 hours ago!

"Confirmed. Live interview with Douglas Gresham, stepson of C.S. Lewis and Narnia co-producer on Oct. 15th. On @MyMeRadio"

You know what this means, don't you? If the network is smart, they'll get some franchise future answers out of Gresham. Who wants to transcribe this interview? :)

Posted : September 27, 2011 1:57 pm
Bookwyrm
(@bookwyrm)
NarniaWeb Guru

Huh, that's pretty cool. I've kind of lost touch with the people who run Middle-Earth Network or I'd shoot them an email suggesting they ask him about the movies. But Maerech will probably think of that himself.

Posted : September 27, 2011 3:49 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

ooh that could be cool :D maybe Douglas Gresham will be able to tell us more about when we can expect the next Narnia movie! :D :D

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : September 29, 2011 5:01 am
SilverSea
(@silversea)
NarniaWeb Nut

Well, October 15th is the date of truth! *fingers crosses* :)

Posted : September 29, 2011 3:52 pm
Louloudi the Centaur
(@louloudi-the-centaur)

Well, now that we know what is going on with the Narnia film series right now, we would assume that the journalist was lying or something like that. However, on September 28, he made many tweets out after some fans responded the Walden's rights to the series that expired. One I find interesting in the midst of all the posts talking on how Walden and Fox still want to do the series, he tells us again that Walden and Fox are still hoping to make at least 2 more Narnia films, and that they both hope to release them in 2014 and 2015, and that one is being developed and one is being scripted.

I think that the journalist is combining true and false information. It's true at this point that the rights have expired for Walden and that they will try to renew that contract within a matter of years and continue the films. What I think is false is that MN will release in 2014 and SC will release in 2015. Those release dates are on IMDb, and that's not a very accurate movie website. And I think if Walden were to renew their contract with the Estate, it would be much longer than a three years before we see MN on the big screen.

Then again, do we even know how long Walden or any other film company will have the chance to get the rights to the Narnia series? Well, I certainly don't know at all.

Well, let's wait a few years and then we'll find out.

Posted : October 1, 2011 6:09 am
coracle
(@coracle)

Louloudi, I don't think anyone was lying, but the person from Walden who disagreed with our first news item about this was just not up to date with the situation (but thought they were). So we had two points of view, each sincerely held, and of course most people hoped the Walden reply was the actual state of play.
I don't know who the journalist is, and don't have twitter, so can't comment on his messages. Probably the information was what Walden etc were still hoping to do. (I understand that Walden hoped to get the rights again).
But with their rights expired, they can no longer work on script development for the stories.

Posted : October 1, 2011 10:48 am
D-T
 D-T
(@d-t)
NarniaWeb Regular

Well, you know what they say, if something sounds to good to be true, it probably is.
(D-T words of wisdom =)) )

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSS

Posted : October 11, 2011 9:17 am
Louloudi the Centaur
(@louloudi-the-centaur)

@coracle I didn't think anybody was lying either, I was just thinking that the journalist had gotten information mixed up. But thank you for clearing that up for me. Now I understand what's going on, or what we know of that is going on.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for this Friday, the day of truth with Douglas Gresham in his interview. I don't think it will go too in depth though, not saying too much more than Walden let the rights expire for this reason and that we are are now waiting a few years to resell the rights or something. But we'll have to see.

In the mean time, "Further up and further in!"

Posted : October 12, 2011 11:24 am
Page 2 / 3
Share: