Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Left Behind: Dragon Eustace

Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

Is it true that Eustace, once he is a dragon, will be left on the island, and brought back later in the movie? Some people say so, and I was wondering if it's true, or just a rumor.
Because if it's true, and Eustace is turned into a dragon early on, that means there will hardly be any screen time for Will Poulter at all... :(
Anyone know?

~Riella

Topic starter Posted : September 5, 2010 6:23 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

^^ I don't think he'll be left behind like that.....I may be wrong, but if you were able to see the clips that came out before they were taken off, you would see in the second clip that Eustace is in the valley with the gold and then some time later Edmund and Caspian come down and see the gold. then later there's that flame that shoots up that Drinian, Lucy and Gael see......
I think he'll be on the screen a lot. but like I said, I could be wrong! :D :P :)

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : September 6, 2010 5:04 am
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

Is it true that Eustace, once he is a dragon, will be left on the island, and brought back later in the movie? Some people say so, and I was wondering if it's true, or just a rumor.

Neither really - It's a theory more than anything else.

We pretty much know now the new Island order for the movie, and that Eustace will get turned into a Dragon on "Goldwater Island" (an amalgamation of Deathwater/Goldwater and Dragon Island from the book) which will be the third island on the voyage after Lone Islands and Coriakin's Island.

What remains to be seen however is what happens between between Eustace getting turned into a Dragon on Goldwater, and Eustace as a boy rowing to Aslan's Country at the end of the movie (both of which we saw in the recent video clips). The islands that will fill this gap are Ramandu's Island and Dark Island. We don't have much photographic or video evidence from these two islands yet, but we have yet to see Eustace present at either of them. Though given how little we've seen that's hardly conclusive evidence right now.

There are also various reports about the Dragon being involved in some sort of climatic "battle" at the Dark Island, possibly involving the Sea Serpent, which would be where people are getting the idea that he stays a Dragon for much longer in the movie.

There is also the fact that in the recent clip of them rowing to Aslan's Country, Eustace appears to be apologising for his recent behaviour, and telling the others about his undragoning - both of which would be odd things for him to say so late on in the movie if the undragoning had occurred much earlier. That said, some people have questioned the editing of those clips and whether the audio matches up to the visuals presented, so its not possible to be 100% about that.

So all in all, i'd say there was quite a bit of evidence to point to Eustace possibly being a Dragon from the 3rd to the 5th island in the movie, but there is nothing conclusive yet.

Posted : September 6, 2010 8:23 am
OakDryad71
(@oakdryad71)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Well looks like these guys dont wanna do anything right, or at least not stick true to the book. Eustace will be a dragon for the duration of the movie until the very end, and the entire lesson of the armband being taken off by Aslan will be lost. And it appears several other of Lewis' lessons will be lost in the special effects of eye candy. How sad. But for those of you who dont care about the the soul of the Chronicles, enjoy!

"But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there."

Posted : September 14, 2010 4:47 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

I wouldn't draw a conclusion until we have more facts, but I wouldn't say that the lessons would be lost if he is a dragon for longer. It all depends on how they knit the story together.

Posted : September 14, 2010 5:12 am
americangirlemmie
(@americangirlemmie)
NarniaWeb Nut

I hope they don't do that... but I have a feeling they won't.....

Co-founder - NW for HP & The Missing Club

Posted : September 18, 2010 9:39 am
Linden
(@linden)
NarniaWeb Regular

What! Poor Eustace, spending most of his screentime as a dragon. :( I was wondering why there was so little of him in the trailers. Maybe this is why...

Posted : September 29, 2010 4:18 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

So the new screening event reports confirm...

Posted : October 3, 2010 3:44 am
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

Wait a minute: The Dark Island comes after Aslan's Country?!!!!
Or did I completely misinterperet that?

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

Posted : October 8, 2010 2:54 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

Aslan's Country doesn't count as an "Island" in my mind.

When they said they had "consolidated seven islands into five" the end result was that they went from an order of:

Lone Islands, Dragon Island, Burnt Island, Deathwater, Coriakin's Island, Dark Island, Ramandu's Island.

.. to the new movie order of:

Lone Islands, Magician's Island, Goldwater Island, Ramandu's Island, Dark Island.

Of course in both cases Aslans Country, or at least the beach at the end of the world that provides the gateway to Aslan's Country, is last.

Anyway, the new plot details from the Movie Storybook confirm what happens to Dragon Eustace between getting turned into a Dragon and getting turned back from a dragon:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1974

Posted : October 9, 2010 1:06 am
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)

Oh ok, you're right about that. Sorry, I think I just got confused for some reason.

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

Posted : October 9, 2010 3:12 am
ibart9
(@ibart9)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Because if it's true, and Eustace is turned into a dragon early on, that means there will hardly be any screen time for Will Poulter at all... :(
Anyone know?

~Riella

This would really, really, REALLY tick me off :(( , for the simple reason that it would completely contradict ANY of Lewis' portrayals of Edmund, Lucy, Caspian, and possibly Reepicheep. In the book, evil little Eustace is paranoid that they would do just that, thinking this through the lense of what he would do in their position. But they would never even think of marooning Eustace.
The only way they could salvage this is if the Kings, Lucy and Reep argued with the sailors against leaving Eustace, but in the end, the sailors won put, much like they almost did at Ramandu's island in the book. This would make Caspian look like a bit of a pansy to have his men pushing him around this way, but at least the inherent integrity of the characters would be preserved.

The One True Teenage Mutant Ninja Warrior Mouse
[youtube][/youtube] Check me out @ ibart9

Posted : October 19, 2010 3:19 pm
Valiant
(@valiant)
NarniaWeb Guru

That would make me really sad and angry, but I don't think thats what they will do. They said they would

I'm just wondering how this would look on film....

Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic

Posted : October 19, 2010 3:53 pm
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)

^Yeah I'm still trying to figure out how that is physically possible, but I think Valiant is right.

Posted : October 24, 2010 7:26 am
Eustace
(@eustace)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Well, in movies anything is possible I guess. As long as the audience doesn't think about it.
But frankly, I am glad to see it doesn't seem like they leave him behind.

Redeemed-Cousins-1
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!

Posted : November 12, 2010 4:09 am
Share: