Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Chapter 4 Over Hill and Under Hill

coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Greetings to all you intrepid journeyers with the dwarves. This question probably needs you to read the chapter carefully first. I look forward to seeing your ideas.

1. Tolkien made a point of saying that Fili and Kili couldn’t have taken a very thorough look at the cave. Gandalf did look around. Why do you think Tolkien included this information?

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 12, 2012 11:50 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

1. Tolkien made a point of saying that Fili and Kili couldn’t have taken a very thorough look at the cave. Gandalf did look around. Why do you think Tolkien included this information?

Because there could be something lurking in the cave. :P

~Riella =:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 13, 2012 8:40 am
GlimGlum
(@glimglum)
Member Moderator

It seems to me that they did not do a thorough investigation of the cave but it also would appear that it would not have mattered if they had. When all were inside including Gandalf, nobody noticed anything amiss.

Don't know why the author mentioned that about the quick look over.

Sad to see the ponies captured and leaving the story. :( But Gandalf again comes to the rescue just in time. B-) They have certainly needed him up to this point. :-$

Loyal2Tirian
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 16, 2012 9:57 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

I suppose the Fili and Kili comment is foreshadowing, and maybe a comment about how Fili and Kili didn't enjoy being singled out for extra work.

I rather like how Bombur is one of the dwarves singled out to carry Bilbo through the tunnels. It's amusing to think of him being able to run faster than our friend the hobbit. ;))

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 19, 2012 10:41 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

1. I think it helps set up the scene a little, and gives you a small sense of foreboding. The fact that Gandalf also looked around and missed the crack takes a bit of the blame off of Fili's and Kili's shoulders too. :)

I know, Glimmie, even though I knew they were lost, I was sad to read about the ponies. :(

Ooh, yes, Mel. Poor Bombur! ;))

I loved how the goblins also sing. ;)) Such a common trait! It's quite fun, and their song is rather fitting. :)

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2012 5:00 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Everyone does seem to love their songs in Middle-earth. ;))

I'm not sure how to answer the question about double-checking the cave. I'm inclined to agree with GlimGlum and ValiantArcher. The crack was so well hidden that there was no way anyone could have known it was there without being told about it. Yet, I think it is odd that Bilbo dreamed about the crack before anyone knew it existed. Was reality bleeding through to his subconscious or was some sort of a vision taking place?

Upon my second reading of this book I found that I had completely forgotten the Stone Giants from this chapter. Since they don't directly affect our heroes, I suppose that is an easy thing to do. Since they act very much like the giants of Ettinsmoor in The Silver Chair may be another reason, but whatever the reason, I was surprised to learn of their existence in Middle-earth. Can anyone point me to references of their appearing in other Tolkien stories?

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2012 5:37 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

I think he wanted to stress the importance of looking around. I also think it shows that even careful examination does not always show everything. It is interesting that the dwarves and Gandalf didn't post guards. Although the cave appeared safe it did have a visible door and they were in enemy territory.

Upon my second reading of this book I found that I had completely forgotten the Stone Giants from this chapter. Since they don't directly affect our heroes, I suppose that is an easy thing to do. Can anyone point me to references of their appearing in other Tolkien stories?

I missed it too or at least didn't remember it until it came up in discussion of the Hobbit Movies. According to my reference guide, the Stone Giants only appear in the Hobbit.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2012 3:27 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

Upon my second reading of this book I found that I had completely forgotten the Stone Giants from this chapter. Since they don't directly affect our heroes, I suppose that is an easy thing to do. Can anyone point me to references of their appearing in other Tolkien stories?

I missed it too or at least didn't remember it until it came up in discussion of the Hobbit Movies. According to my reference guide, the Stone Giants only appear in the Hobbit.

The Stone Giants are never mentioned in LotR - but nothing in that book takes place in this area, so presumably this is the only area where you can find them. ;)

It's funny how the movie picks up on what is just a mention in passing and changes it into an action scene - where they directly affect our heroes after all :p

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2013 11:25 pm
Share: