Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Chapter 3 A Short Rest

Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. In this chapter elves are introduced. So far we have been introduced to three main races: hobbits, dwarves, and elves. How would you describe each group? Do you think the races are more similar or different?

2. How do you think Elrond's discovery of the Moon-Letters changed the dwarves' outlook on their adventure?

3. The elves in this chapter are full of gaiety and fun. How does their silliness balance with their wisdom, which Elrond so obviously possesses?

4. Why was Gandalf concerned about the valley hearing about their plans?

(Bonus question :P). Elrond and his elves seem kind enough to the Dwarves, yet in Lord of the Rings, Tolkien plays the two races against each other. What do you think changed to make these two races, in less than a hundred years, go from being on good terms to much less sociable terms?

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 6, 2012 4:54 am
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

Elrond and his elves seem kind enough to the Dwarves, yet in Lord of the Rings, Tolkien plays the two races against each other. What do you think changed to make these two races, in less than a hundred years, go from being on good terms to much less sociable terms?

I didn't get the impression that the relationship between races changed all that much between The Hobbit and LOTR.

Spoiler
Their dislike of each other is especially shown once they encounter the Wood Elves later in the book.
The Elves at Rivendell are very hospitable to everyone. But that's just it -- I think they are hospitable to everyone. No matter how they personally feel about each race. And even then, there is still a lot of teasing on the Elves' part, and grouchiness on the dwarves' part.

~Riella =:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 6, 2012 7:31 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

1. Hobbits are round and cozy, dwarves are square and cranky, and elves are long and cheery. That's something of an oversimplification, but kind of fun. ;)) I'm not sure how to describe the similarities, other than that they all have humanesque motivations...

2. They seem to have got their mojo back, at least temporarily...

3. My theory is that they are silly to balance out the gravity of the situation they are looking at.

Spoiler
Obviously, the One Ring hasn't been found yet, but rumor has it they will be allying to drive the Necromancer out of Mirkwood, which is serious business.

4. The walls have ears.

Spoiler
From Fellowship we know that birds are employed as spies, so that's probably the best answer.

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2012 1:53 pm
GlimGlum
(@glimglum)
Member Moderator

1. In this chapter elves are introduced. So far we have been introduced to three main races: hobbits, dwarves, and elves. How would you describe each group? Do you think the races are more similar or different?

Hobbits: Simple, fun-loving, hospitable, but wary of adventures.
Dwarves: Tough, determined, loyal, and grumblers, but like to sing songs too.
Elves: Mysterious, agile, wise, and playful who also like to sing songs.

3. The elves in this chapter are full of gaiety and fun. How does their silliness balance with their wisdom, which Elrond so obviously possesses?

I think that their playfulness and silliness is to balance out their wisdom and knowledge so they don't go bonkers. :-o B-)

Loyal2Tirian
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 15, 2012 7:55 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

I think they are glad to get any information they can but I don't think it gave them much hope. Thorin seemed doubtful about figuring out when Durin's Day would be (I assume he was talking about the time when the sun and moon are both in the sky).

Being wise is often thought to go hand in hand with being serious. Just because one wise doesn't mean one can't partake in harmless silliness. Tolkien wrote: " His [Elrond's] house was perfect whether you liked food or sleep or work, or story-telling, or singing or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all." I imagine some like a mixture of the things. Wisdom comes with age. We know the elf that greeted them was "a young fellow." I would not be surprised if a lot of the elves that were singing and teasing were also young. If the situation required wisdom, I'm sure they would shed their silliness.

The trees are always listening - oops wrong book and wrong author. ;)) They weren't to the house yet and could still be overheard. The elves are obviously well connected and receive the latest news. If they can get news, they can spread it too. When one is sneaking up on a dragon it is best not to have too many people know your business. As Gandalf said, "some elves have over merry tongues."

(Bonus question :P). Elrond and his elves seem kind enough to the Dwarves, yet in Lord of the Rings, Tolkien plays the two races against each other. What do you think changed to make these two races, in less than a hundred years, go from being on good terms to much less sociable terms?
Tolkien did mention that dwarves don't get on well with elves. Thorin seems to exhibit this when he says thank you "a bit gruffy"

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 24, 2012 2:24 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

1. You all seem to have covered this pretty well already. One thing that did stand out to me is that all the races introduced so far love singing. ;))

2. I think that it, along with their rest, buoyed them up and gave them a brighter outlook. At least until they left Rivendell. ;))

3. Weeelll...every society and race has those members who don't fit very well with the majority, and sticking all the silly Elves with the hospitable and long-suffering Elrond would solve one problem. ;) ;)) Seriously, I think you all have pretty much covered everything I thought about with regards to silliness and wisdom. :)

4. They're trying to move in a fair amount of secrecy, and as we know from other parts (at the very least, we hear of this in LotR), creatures of all sorts sneak about almost invisibly, and even animals can be spies.

Bonus question: They're on a bit of shaky terms here already; I think Elrond is very hospitable to everyone, and the Dwarves (particularly Thorin) would not break that hospitality. Additionally, as far as relations in LotR,

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2012 4:49 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Everyone seems to be pretty much in agreement over the first 5 questions, so I'll just add a new question and comment.

Rivendell is a place to rest, relax, refresh and renew. What makes the place so? What is beautiful about the place? What is good? Personally, I think the natural surroundings would be spectacular, along with the cunning way that the house is built into the valley.

I think the elves themselves are good folk, fond of singing and merriment, skilled in healing, protecting and safekeeping. They are intelligent and wise. They are hospitable and kind. This is what makes them such good hosts. May we all remember these good traits when we have guests at our own homes.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2012 7:33 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

Hobbits are merry, simple creatures who like to leave well alone and be left alone by the outside world. Dwarves are gruff, proud, and temperamental. Elves are beautiful, wise, and ancient. They are all very different. But if I had to pick one main similarity they have, I would say it's a pride they each share for their own race.

I think silliness can often be a sign of wisdom. It often goes along with happiness and satisfaction. It is only the truly nonsensical people who are so burdened by their own lives that they can't laugh or enjoy a joke.

Because in Middle Earth there are many spies. And he believed secrecy was crucial.

~Riella =:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2013 7:26 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

Elrond and his elves are kind enough to Dwarves even in Lord of the Rings - Legolas and Celeborn, who start out as sceptical to the Dwarves, do not belong to those. So I think it's their different history further back, rather than any events during those hundred years, that makes a difference.

In that history, different groups of Dwarves have had different relationships to different groups of Dwarves. In fact, Elrond's elves were even allied to a group of Dwarves in an early war against Sauron, before Sauron had lost the Ring (at that time, he had recently made it).

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2013 11:18 pm
7chronicles
(@7chronicles)
NarniaWeb Guru

1. Hobbits: Cheery, Kind, Simple.
Dwarves: Proud, Grim, Loyal.
Elves: Solemn, Wise, Courteous.

2. How do you think Elrond's discovery of the Moon-Letters changed the dwarves' outlook on their adventure?

2. I think it gave them all a second wind, and a renewed focus on the quest itself.
I could also see it giving them some concern for time as well, knowing that the keyhole would be revealed Durin's Day.

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2013 6:59 pm
Dinode
(@dinode)
NarniaWeb Guru

Aditional question: Rivendell is a place to rest, relax, refresh and renew. What makes the place so? What is beautiful about the place? What is good?

For one thing, it is a shelter surrounded by dangerous and wild areas, and that will make any place seem better, especially if it is already good.

Seeking comic book artist, PM for details.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2013 6:52 am
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

The trees are always listening - oops wrong book and wrong author. ;)) They weren't to the house yet and could still be overheard. The elves are obviously well connected and receive the latest news. If they can get news, they can spread it too. When one is sneaking up on a dragon it is best not to have too many people know your business. As Gandalf said, "some elves have over merry tongues."

Good point - and I think he was also worried that someone not belonging to Rivendell still could be close enough to it to be able to overhear them. The Elves would be able to keep such creatures away - but they might be lurking in the area where our company was at the moment.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2013 5:30 pm
Share: