Notifications
Clear all

The best audio dramas

Page 3 / 4
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay

The movie does have the Robin, but I think he appears only for a few seconds. Susan says,”That bird psst us.”  It of course is a European robin (not an American one), although I wonder if many Americans would know the difference between the species.  Remember that there was also a robin of the same kind in The Secret Garden. It does appear in the audiobook. If a robin is mentioned in an audio drama people will most likely only know something about its appearance from pictures in a physical book. Do people even notice birds in books or movies based on them?

Here is a link describing the robin:

https://www.birdspot.co.uk/bird-identification/robin

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 29, 2021 8:05 am
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

*Takes copious notes*

I've always loved audio dramas - I think it was a love mostly instilled in me by the Adventures in Odyssey radio series, as well as a local radio program we had on tape when I was a kid. The FotF Narnia productions only further enhanced this love, but for whatever reason, I didn't keep up with their other productions. (I'm guessing I was too young for most of the other titles to interest me.) Apparently, I need to do some searching for some of these!

Perhaps this is a bit off-topic, but I've been kind of wondering why there don't seem to be any modern, online audio dramas (or series, a la Adventures in Odyssey). Podcasts seem like a great way to do this, if you have audio equipment and the technical skills required (as someone who has neither, though, perhaps I'm underestimating this 😛 ). I was just curious if anyone knew of such a podcast/web series they could recommend. (I have grand dreams of writing one of my own one of these days, but that requires having an idea and/or skill 😉 ).

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2021 10:27 pm
High King Pete The Magnificent
(@highkingpete)
NarniaWeb Nut

@rya

I'm curious, if you were planning to make an audio drama would it be in line with some of the 'layered' ones I've heard on some podcasts? There is a podcast on Spotify called Appearances [Mermaid Palace, Radiotopia and Sharon Mashihi] that's is an original story told from first-person, and the host uses her voice for all the characters. It's a little ASMR like where she uses other sounds to produce an ambience of a scene before speaking. I liked how it well put together it sounded, thought I'm not sure exactly how it was produced. 

I was wondering if this would be what you meant in terms of an audio drama, (truthfully I'm not sure how to define one Giggle ) but I'm probably wrong.

The 'Pevensies' irl:
@highkingpete
@queensuthegentle
@kingedthejust
@queenluthevaliant
A Narnian Fan Survey!: https://forms.gle/cGghFjQyxmA4jPGq6

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2021 12:21 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@highkingpete

An audio drama is like a play.  Whether it is a podcast or other recording wouldn't make much difference.  It probably doesn't matter if the same voice actor plays several characters.  In fact in some of the Dr. Who dramas there are people who voice several parts, .e.g. Frazer Hines plays the Second Doctor (he does a convincing impression of Patrick Troughton, who is no longer with us). He also plays Jamie McCrimmon and sometimes the Narrator.   You almost believe it is different people performing the roles.  The drama works because it is all on audio. And the actors don't have to worry about their age because no one can see them.  Tom Baker, Peter Davison, and Wendy Padbury still have very good voices, but they no longer act in TV series.  The audio format is an option for retired actors who no longer want the physical demands of acting for the screen.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 3, 2021 1:05 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

One of the advantages of radio is that the listeners imagine their own pictures and scenery, instead of being given it as in film or TV. 

An English actor or radio presenter once said that the pictures in radio were better than film or TV.

Radio serials of various children's books (good BBC ones) were normal in my childhood: we had a weekday programme after school, with songs , jokes, stories, and an episode of the serial. 

In my teens I enjoyed various British comedy series, the precursors to Monty Python with some of the same actors. Apart from feeding my sense of humour, they did create vivid pictures in the mind.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2021 1:34 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Recently I ordered some Dr. Who audio dramas that I had never listened to before.  Has anyone else here enjoyed the audiobooks from Big Finish? Peter Davison is the Doctor in the stories I purchased, and the dramas were made about ten years ago. I like it that the original cast returns.  Their voices don’t seem to age very much, considering that it was about forty years ago that the actors appeared in the TV series.  Probably Dr. Who is the only science fiction television show to have so much available on audio. Big Finish has released many fine stories of the former Doctors through the years.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 16, 2021 5:10 am
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @narnian78

@highkingpete

An audio drama is like a play. 

Yes, this was the kind of audio drama I was referring to - sorry if I was unclear. Blush Honestly, I've never heard of those podcasts, though that doesn't mean much (I only know of a few Giggle ) . I'll have to give those a try sometime. 🙂 

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2021 7:12 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@rya

I am not sure if the dramas are available as podcasts. They are usually on audio CD or downloads.  I prefer the CD’s since they have better sound quality.  The audio experience  (especially the music and sound effects) is better on the disc than on a computer or mobile device.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 18, 2021 4:42 am
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

Is this a Lewis/Tolkien monolith, or can any audio drama play through?

I heard "radio plays" and thought Chickenman. I guess it's even on podcasts nowadays. If you liked 1960s Batman, it's an affectionate parody of that.

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 21, 2021 5:32 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I am now listening to Tom Baker’s audio reading of Dickens’  A Christmas Carol. Of course this is a one man performance since Tom Baker reads the story exactly as it was written. His voice is incredible for audiobooks whether he is reading from a novel or performing a part in an audio play.  His acting for audio is as good as his performance was on television as Dr. Who.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 24, 2021 9:26 am
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I've been listening to the audio drama of The Left Behind Series. It's a take on the Biblical prophesy of the last days. I've read the series and seen the movies.

I won't get into the theological aspect of it. However, I'll say that it's a really gripping story.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2023 7:39 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator
Posted by: @the-old-maid  

I heard "radio plays" and thought Chickenman.

Wow, a blast from the past! We had it here in mid 60s, advertising /sponsored by a NZ chicken business. Yes I can still sing most of the local advertising jingle, and some of the slogans in the little show. Smile  

(Sorry, I took that way off topic)

And now back to the topic...

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2023 10:23 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think radio plays or dramas are kind of nice for a road trip. You can be in your car for a long drive and listen to an audio drama.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 28, 2023 7:42 am
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

I love radio dramas ... much, much more than TV (which I never watch, lol). Radio dramas, like books, spark the imagination, and a well-done presentation is simply superb. We have a large collection of these, and I make my way through many each year, mostly when I am in the kitchen baking and cooking. I think we now have 98% of Focus on the Family's extensive collection of radio theatres—all of which are of excellence+. We also have some BBC, amongst others. Smile All are treasures to listen to as we are plunged into the world of whatever story or biography they are telling.

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2023 2:21 pm
Narnian78 liked
freshynfs
(@freshynfs)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Hello NarniaWeb forum community! ☺️

Many of you are aware of Focus on the Family Radio Theatre who adapted all 7 Chronicles of Narnia books into stellar audio dramas. FOTF Radio Theatre didn’t just produce the Narnia books into audio dramas, they also did many others such as A Christmas Carol, Oliver Twist, Les Miserables, Ben Hur, C.S. Lewis The Screwtape Letters as well as the story behind Mere Christianity, Anne of Green Gables, At Home in Mitford, Silas Marner, and so many others!

I recently reached out to Focus on the Family and inquired about future adaptation ideas for Radio Theatre. I was sadly informed that Focus on the Family stopped production on the series as funding was pulled. I was also told that the audio team have had many discussions on bringing Radio Theatre back as there is more projects they would love to pursue, but until funding is restored they can’t do anything but wait. I was given details on who to write to at Focus to voice my concerns about producing more shows for Radio Theatre.

For all of you who enjoyed Focus on the Family Radio Theatre, whether it was through Narnia or any of the other projects they did, I’m asking for your support in the campaign to revive Radio Theatre. Fans have set up a respectful campaign requesting Focus on the Family restore funding and revive Radio Theatre, so that more classic works can be produced for the whole family. A petition has been started, but also the management at Focus on the Family needs to hear feedback from fans and listeners requesting they want this series to be brought back! We are asking fans of Radio Theatre to send in Letters and Postcards, Buy Radio Theatre sets if you don’t have them, or if you already do maybe get some for your family and friends as gifts! Also we have made a brochure/flyer you can share with your church, schools, youth group, etc to spread the word!

With listener support and writing to Focus on the Family I know our voices can be heard to bring back this wholesome series for the whole family. For all you listeners who loved FOTF Radio Theatre and would love for them to make new audio dramas, please consider signing the petition and sharing it on whatever platform you use, (twitter, Facebook, etc.) and write to the management at Focus. All the details can be found on the links down below. First link is the petition and who to write to. Second link contains more info including the postcard campaign and the flyers/brochures you can print to share with others. Thank you all so much! 🤗

Further up and further In ☺️

https://www.change.org/Revivefocusonthefamilyradiotheatre

https://aioupdate.weebly.com/news/how-to-save-radio-theatre?fbclid=IwAR2H624Bv0HQirKCpcxiUnZlnIUdf69wVHIH4H0ajUWKcmBuFf-unrDh7Ks

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2023 10:59 pm
Page 3 / 4
Share: