Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

When and how to do The Horse and His Boy?

Page 2 / 2
KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut

@jewel

Like you said, the setting should be taking place in the Middle East for the scenes with the desert. That would work really nicely! But I am wondering how they should do the scenes of Archenland and Narnia. Where do you think those scenes should take place? What kind of setting would they use?

Posted by: @jewel

I would like the film only to be released now after new film adaptions of the first two Narnia books.

I think that the Film of Horse and His boy should be released after Silver chair but before Last battle. It would be much more straight-forward if they did it after Silver Chair since the only other time in the Books they really mentioned Cor and Aravis was at the very end of Last Battle. There is much complication on whether you should read the books by publication order or by Chronological order, but I think that since Horse and his boy is not like the other books that correspond to the rest of the plot or the series, it should go almost last as to not confuse the audience, especially those who are new to Narnia. 

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 9, 2021 1:28 pm
jewel
(@jewel)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @kingedthejust

@jewel

Like you said, the setting should be taking place in the Middle East for the scenes with the desert. That would work really nicely! But I am wondering how they should do the scenes of Archenland and Narnia. Where do you think those scenes should take place? What kind of setting would they use?

Good question! I think  the filming if Narnia should obviously in western Europe as Lewis took so much from the Medieval west. I imagine the same should be the case for Archenland. The British Isles would a great place to film these two countries. What do you think? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 9, 2021 6:38 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator
Posted by: @jewel

I think the film should be filmed somewhere in the Middle East.... That said, The Horse and His Boy should center largely on Shasta and the contrast between several of the kingdoms in the Narnia world. ..

Which countries do you mean in the Middle East ?
The ancient country of Persia [now Iran], in The Arabian Nights tales, seems to be what C.S.Lewis was thinking of, rather than the Arabic countries we know today.

Here's a useful link for information about the Arabian Nights - and it mentions an earlier version that was Persian!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Thousand_and_One_Nights

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 10, 2021 4:13 am
jewel
(@jewel)
NarniaWeb Nut

That is good question! Maybe Saudi Arabia? I think Calormen should be filmed in a fairly wealthier Middle Eastern Country. Perhaps Afghanistan would seem too poor? How about you all?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 10, 2021 7:06 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think this will be interesting. The Horse And His Boy is more of a side book. Here are some concerns about this-

1. Are the Calormenes going to be portrayed right? I have the same concern when they adapt The Last Battle. I think the thing is are they going to get the right actors for the role? You have Aravis, who is a Calormene girl running away for a better life in Narnia. You have Lasaraleen who is totally the opposite of Aravis. She has an extravagant lifestyle and seems to draw attention to herself (I guess that's what you get for being an upper class Tarkheena). Then there's Anradin who bought Shasta as a slave. Then you've got the villain, Prince Rabadash. So they would need to get the right actors for the roles. And how would they portrayed the culture of the Calormenes? There's controversial debate about that it's racist. So that would be a concern if Netflix would get the portrayals of the Calormenes right.

2. Villainous Crush- Yes, I could go on and on about villainous crush. It would seem they could possibly give Prince Rabadash and Susan more interaction. They might even show Prince Rabadash visiting Cair Paravel, where he's a nice person. Then as the story progresses, he reveals his true nature. I'm not saying I'm opposed to it. But I think that would be a concern that Netflix could do.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2021 5:44 pm
Crunchy-P
(@queencrunchytheweeb)
NarniaWeb Regular
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

2. Villainous Crush- Yes, I could go on and on about villainous crush. It would seem they could possibly give Prince Rabadash and Susan more interaction. They might even show Prince Rabadash visiting Cair Paravel, where he's a nice person. Then as the story progresses, he reveals his true nature. I'm not saying I'm opposed to it. But I think that would be a concern that Netflix could do.

I would actually like to see this! It would be interesting to see him appear to Susan as a generally nice person and maybe even Susan growing to like him before later on have his true nature be revealed and Susan instead despising him. I think he has a really big potential to be portrayed as a twist villain for HHB (even though all us Narnia fans will know his true intentions from the beginning)

"Have a Narnian Day!" (ナルニアの日を過ごしましょう!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2023 12:58 am
Courtenay liked
Eustace
(@eustace)
NarniaWeb Junkie

@jasmine_tarkheena 

If they are going with the surprise villian Rabadash route (Which I would love and I think it would be a great addition, thus, we could have more moments with Edmund having a suspicion but, Susan is convinced he is just over protective. In fact, we could make the audience believe that Edmund is wrong for a short time too.), then I would love too see that they make sure that in the trailer it looks like a full romance between Susan and Rabadash.  I would like the average movie goer who just watches the trailer to think that Rabadash is a great guy. 

As for the timing of when to film for the age of the Pevensies, I just need a 14-16 year age gap between the Pevensies and Cor and Corin. I think it would be weird to change up the age of the Pevensies in that book, so, whether they do it at a later time or with the adult actors, they need to make sure the Pevensies are a lot older than Corin/Cor and possibly there at the birth of the twins. If they make the ages of Cor too close to Lucy, they might try to go for a romance between them and I definitely do not want that. 

I almost would rather have a tv show of HHB then a movie now that I am thinking about the world building I want to see them do, and so in that case, the tv show could run longer and maybe start with a flashback to the younger actors and see them flash forward to the older actors. 

Redeemed-Cousins-1
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2023 5:27 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @queencrunchytheweeb

I would actually like to see this! It would be interesting to see him appear to Susan as a generally nice person and maybe even Susan growing to like him before later on have his true nature be revealed and Susan instead despising him. I think he has a really big potential to be portrayed as a twist villain for HHB (even though all us Narnia fans will know his true intentions from the beginning)

That could actually be something for those who haven't read the book. They could figure out that there's something not right about Rabadash! They could be turned off at first, then as the story progresses, they would figure out something's not right.

Posted by: @eustace

If they are going with the surprise villian Rabadash route (Which I would love and I think it would be a great addition, thus, we could have more moments with Edmund having a suspicion but, Susan is convinced he is just over protective. In fact, we could make the audience believe that Edmund is wrong for a short time too.), then I would love too see that they make sure that in the trailer it looks like a full romance between Susan and Rabadash. I would like the average movie goer who just watches the trailer to think that Rabadash is a great guy.

There's an idea. I could picture Susan and Edmund get into some kind of argument, which could last until they're in Tashbaan, she reconsiders her decision.

Posted by: @eustace

If they make the ages of Cor too close to Lucy, they might try to go for a romance between them and I definitely do not want that.

I wouldn't want that either, though that's what Hollywood would do! And aren't we dreading romance, especially ones that are non-canonical (look how we felt about the Caspian and Susan romance in Walden's PC, in Hollywood? Eyeroll  

There is a romance in The Horse And His Boy, but it's not like the main part of the story. Even with Cor and Aravis is more of the C-plot, but I could see where Hollywood would be tempted to turn into the A-Plot.

Another I'd like to add is about is how are they going to do the Battle of Anvard. Some would probably expect a huge epic battle in fantasy. Even though it the plot does involved saving Narnia and Archenland from the invading Calormenes, it's more of the B-Plot or maybe the C-Plot (I'm not sure which it is). Though, well, with Hollywood fantasy (which I think has kind of fallen out of favor over time), it could get turn into the A-Plot. I don't know if we'll actually see the Battle of Anvard itself or do we just watch the Hermit of the Southern March watching through the pool. I would think that a movie would want to show the battle itself or even just a glimpse of it.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2023 8:05 am
Crunchy-P liked
Page 2 / 2
Share: