Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What Will Cair Paravel Look Like?

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I imagine that Cair Paravel will look different than in the previous adaptions of Narnia.

MN- Obviously Cair Paravel hasn't built yet but who knows? Maybe in episodic series, we might see Cair Paravel being built.

LWW- I think it will certainly look different than BBC and Walden.

HHB- We might get a glimpse of Cair Paravel here, given that it takes place during the Pevensie's reign.

PC- Cair Paravel is in ruins.

VDT- Since it takes place out on the water, I don't know we'll get to se Cair Paravel. Though I am in favor of showing Cair Paravel being rebuilt. It will could possibly look different than it does in LWW, because it was rebuilt between PC and VDT.

SC- Again, Cair Paravel has been rebuilt and I'd be fine if it looked different than it does in LWW.

LB- I don't know if we'll get to see Cair Paravel, though by then it would have become a city. So it would be kind of nice to see how much has been expanded.

Any thoughts on what Cair Paravel could look like for film or series? How would you feel about seeing it rebuilt between PC and VDT? Would you like to see it as a city in LB?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 28, 2023 10:53 am
Anfinwen
(@anfinwen)
NarniaWeb Nut

Ooh, I like this topic. There's a lot of room for a variety of opinions. It's pretty apparent that Narnia is a mostly Medieval, however there is definitely a range. Narnian's seem very smart from the start, with dwarves making crowns for Frank and Helen after just being created themselves. I think the beginnings of Cair Paravel would not be rough or block-y. An elegant almost woodsy dwelling for the king and queen. Then more would be added, especially defensive elements and as the nation grows, larger halls. It would end up being more of a medieval fortress, though still not block-y or square. I don't think it would ever be like a romantic castle such as Neuschwanstein castle which was built in the 1800s. In the reign of Caspian it would be a bit different due to being rebuilt, but I think he would have done a close restoration. By Tirian's reign, it would probably have a town nearby.

Now let's talk how it was in the Disney movies: too sprawling and palatial, not a castle really. It was kind of Mediterranean, which works for Narnia and it being on the coast, but might be undistinguishable from Calormen architecture. It's how I could imagine a really early Cair Paravel if it was smaller and less grand inside. 

What about Baynes illustrations? They're a little too close to Neuschwanstein for my taste. What I think should be kept are the conical tower roofs and the connected wings as opposed to just walls and keep.

After a quick google there are a couple I really like. There's the Alcazar of Segovia in Spain. It really shows different styles and one could imagine different parts being built in different times. I also really like Corvin castle in Romania, especially the interior courtyards. Both castles still honor Baynes' Illustrations, but still look medieval and great for a coastal castle. 

Screen-Shot-2018-10-13-at-1-35-56-PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 28, 2023 3:22 pm
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @anfinwen

Ooh, I like this topic. There's a lot of room for a variety of opinions. It's pretty apparent that Narnia is a mostly Medieval, however there is definitely a range. Narnian's seem very smart from the start, with dwarves making crowns for Frank and Helen after just being created themselves. I think the beginnings of Cair Paravel would not be rough or block-y. An elegant almost woodsy dwelling for the king and queen. Then more would be added, especially defensive elements and as the nation grows, larger halls. It would end up being more of a medieval fortress, though still not block-y or square. I don't think it would ever be like a romantic castle such as Neuschwanstein castle which was built in the 1800s. In the reign of Caspian it would be a bit different due to being rebuilt, but I think he would have done a close restoration. By Tirian's reign, it would probably have a town nearby.

So very true. I haven't thought of that. In the animated adaption of LWW, at the dinner scene, where the Beavers explain the prophecy, they showed a glimpse of Cair Paravel and the four thrones. I wonder if a new Narnia adaption would do that, to give a preview of what is to happen.

Posted by: @anfinwen

Now let's talk how it was in the Disney movies: too sprawling and palatial, not a castle really. It was kind of Mediterranean, which works for Narnia and it being on the coast, but might be undistinguishable from Calormen architecture. It's how I could imagine a really early Cair Paravel if it was smaller and less grand inside. 

Well, it is the Walden trilogy, though it's been distributed by Disney and Fox (though Disney bought Fox). Though Narnia has castles and giants and dragons, the kind of stuff that are in fairy tales.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 28, 2023 3:28 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I'm sure that a director or even an artist will have a creative vision on what Cair Paravel will look like. I think it will look different in The Silver Chair because it was rebuilt between Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

I don't know if we'll get to see Cair Paravel in The Horse And His Boy or Voyage of the Dawn Treader or The Last Battle though. Though it might be interesting to see Cair Paravel as a city.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 11, 2023 5:00 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Here are some ideas on what Cair Paravel could look like. Which of these do you like best for Cair Paravel?

Alcazar de Segovia | itinari

Bojnice Castle, Slovakia

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 18, 2023 1:44 pm
Share: