Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What Scene In Book Would You Make Changes For In A Movie?

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

We talk a lot about what we we want to see and what we don't want to see in Narnia film adaptation.

The question is, do we want these Narnian books to be made into movies at all? I'm sure you all have different answers. A part of me says, "Yes!" yet another part of me says "No!"

A change that I didn't like was the Green Mist! I know it's almost too cliche, but it was a change that kind of bothered me! It wasn't a even a good villain! I mean, it's almost traditional to have a villain but it was the last straw! It came out of nowhere! It's like we were not prepared for it!

A change that I liked is how they've expanded on Glozelle's character arch a bit more. In the book, Miraz manipulated him to beg him to become king, along with other flatterers and in turn, Glozelle and Sospesian manipulated Miraz. The Walden movie gave some depth to it. At the end, Glozelle was the first to volunteer to go through the doorway. It makes you question about whether his loyalty to Miraz was real or not.

Now imagine if you were producing a Narnia movie. There are some scenes in the books that probably wouldn't work well for a movie.

It's like while you want to stay close to the book as much as possible, you sometimes have to have room for creativity. It's like you still have to think outside the box. It's as you are saying, "Okay, I know I want to stay faithful to the book, but is there something I can add that is not already here? Or is there something I have to change?"

Are there any scenes in the books that would you change for a movie?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 25, 2023 8:30 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

There's one scene that I'm guessing they'll change for a screen adaptation, despite the fact that it's one of the most legendary and moving (and chilling, in a good way) episodes in the books. It's the chapter "The Unwelcome Fellow Traveller" in The Horse and His Boy. That is, of course, where Shasta is riding a slow and disobedient (non-talking) horse in the dark and the mist through the mountain pass between Archenland and Narnia, and falls far behind and is alone in the darkness, when he realises something or someone is walking quietly but heavily beside him...

The bit-by-bit revelation of who this is, as Shasta fearfully converses with "the Thing", is an absolutely fantastic scene and one of the best involving Aslan. It works perfectly in a book, as we're reading, and also works fine in an audio adaptation, because everything in this scene happens through sound — there are no clear visuals at all, and that's the point of it, that Shasta is in the dark (in more ways than one!) and can't see who or what he's talking to, until towards the very end when the mist around him starts to get lighter and starts to clear, and a golden light falls on him from one side, and he turns and sees the Lion...

How are they going to do that effectively on screen? It's a long scene with only very dark and murky visuals at best until the very end, and that's not easy to portray convincingly in a film, so a lot of screenwriters might want to shorten it a lot or cut it out entirely and do something different. I can understand that, but I can't imagine how Shasta's introduction to Aslan could be done anywhere near as wonderfully and movingly as it is in the book — changing it to something else or cutting out most of the dialogue would be such a shame.

Has anyone else thought of how they might do this scene, or what else could be done in place of it?

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 26, 2023 6:38 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay 

I actually have the Unwelcome Fellow Traveler on my wish list to see done in a movie. Though I can see where you're going with it. That will be the biggest challenge how they will come up with it. I've always envisioned to be kind of like a documentary, where they show a close up of Shasta's face and he hears this voice in the background. Perhaps a misty fog around him and a voice in the background.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 26, 2023 1:46 pm
KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @courtenay

Has anyone else thought of how they might do this scene, or what else could be done in place of it?

It's a hard scene to do, in the cover of night. I was thinking that maybe the scene could be a sort of "chase the light" sort of thing. Instead of having Shasta walking in darkness the whole time, the scene could have him seeing little sparks of light at a time, almost like a glow and then it would go out. As the scene progresses, every time Shasta would see a light, it would last longer and glow brighter, and he would know he was getting closer to it. Finally, Shasta wouldn't see the light anymore and then as he's about to lose hope, the light would literally burst in front of him, and Aslan would appear, glorious and magnificent. 

-KingEdTheJust

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 27, 2023 5:54 am
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

That's a great idea. Along with the reveal that Aslan was actually guiding him over some treacherous path, like at the edge of a cliff.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 27, 2023 9:54 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

The Magician's Nephew- Actually show Jadis climbing over the wall at the Garden of Youth and have her start eating the silver apple. Then cut to Digory, Polly and Fledge reading the inscription at the golden gate.

The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe- Father Christmas visiting the Beavers and the children and the forest animals all at once. After the children each receive their gifts, Father Christmas would be on his way. Then the Beavers and the children could be on their way. Then have them turn around and see the White Witch, "It's her!"

The Horse And His Boy- Those were great ideas you gave about the Unwelcome Fellow Traveler. And imagine hearing Aslan saying "Myself" three times: loud and clear, deep and low, and in a whisper.A speck of light would be idea.

Prince Caspian- Miraz learning of Caspian's flight when his horse comes back without a rider. Doctor Cornelius could even say, "I must get to Caspian at once!'

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader- Caspian and his crew getting ready to set sail from Cair Paravel and see what they've been doing in Galma, Terenbithia, and the Seven Isles.

The Silver Chair- Rilian, in his grief and anger, searching for the serpent to kill it, then see the expression on his face change when he sees the beautiful woman in green. Then feel the sadness when he doesn't return home on that fateful night. Even show a glimpse some of the bravest Narnians who have looked for Prince Rilian, and don't come back.

The Last Battle-  Poggin listening in the conversation between Rishda and Ginger, "Aslan means nothing more than Tash" and blah blah. Emeth listens in as well. We could see his reaction to that Rishda, his own captain, doesn't believe in Tash. "How could he dare to mock it?"

What are your thoughts on these ideas? Would they work or would they not?

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 29, 2023 3:50 pm
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe- Father Christmas visiting the Beavers and the children and the forest animals all at once. After the children each receive their gifts, Father Christmas would be on his way. Then the Beavers and the children could be on their way. Then have them turn around and see the White Witch, "It's her!"

Hmm, I think this would puncture the sense of hope created by FC's visit. It's dramatic, but too downbeat IMO.

Prince Caspian- Miraz learning of Caspian's flight when his horse comes back without a rider. Doctor Cornelius could even say, "I must get to Caspian at once!'

Can't comment since I'm not too fond of the book!

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader- Caspian and his crew getting ready to set sail from Cair Paravel and see what they've been doing in Galma, Terenbithia, and the Seven Isles.

Appropriate for some flashbacks.

The Silver Chair- Rilian, in his grief and anger, searching for the serpent to kill it, then see the expression on his face change when he sees the beautiful woman in green. Then feel the sadness when he doesn't return home on that fateful night. Even show a glimpse some of the bravest Narnians who have looked for Prince Rilian, and don't come back.

Very good, it would be part of the story Glimfeather tells Jill.

The Last Battle-  Poggin listening in the conversation between Rishda and Ginger, "Aslan means nothing more than Tash" and blah blah. Emeth listens in as well. We could see his reaction to that Rishda, his own captain, doesn't believe in Tash. "How could he dare to mock it?"

Depends on how much emphasis Emeth's character gets in the adaptation. I think LB is really Tirian's story and they should stick to it as such.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2023 4:15 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @cobalt-jade

Hmm, I think this would puncture the sense of hope created by FC's visit. It's dramatic, but too downbeat IMO.

Oh, right. Though I like the idea of having Father Christmas visiting the Beavers, the children, and the forest animals all at once.

Very good, it would be part of the story Glimfeather tells Jill.

I was also thinking of that as a beginning as well. Perhaps, even invest a bit more on the relationship between Rilian and his mother and feel his grief when she dies! It's that unbreakable bond that a mother has with her child!

I also wonder if you could change the scene where Rilian, Puddleglum and the children kill the snake. In book, they cut off her head, which might be a concern for parents. "Whoa, is this for kids?" I don't know how you can do that. Maybe have Rilian put the sword on the roof of the snake's mouth like what Edmund did with sea serpent in the Walden adaption of Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Okay, maybe not that.

Depends on how much emphasis Emeth's character gets in the adaptation. I think LB is really Tirian's story and they should stick to it as such.

That's true. Though it could create an interesting dynamic for Emeth's longing for Tash! When Poggin tells of his listening within the conversation, it can all be done in flashback form. Rishda and Ginger as silhouette figures in the pitch blackness could create a dramatic effect! Then we might hear Emeth's voice, "What? How could he dare to mock him?"

I'll also add that adaptions do get close on occasion. We can't expect them to get it a 100% right (it probably wouldn't be a very good movie if it was). However, if it is 75% or 80% right, it will still count for something. Smile  

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 29, 2023 6:38 pm
Share: