Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What If Netflix Did Try to Keep Within the Walden Media Continuity?

Page 2 / 2
KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @narnian78

There was a fair amount of realism in the sea voyage. So I can’t honestly say that I completely disliked the film.

Same here, @narnian78 

The movies were not as good once I read the books but I still appreciate the effort put into the films, even VDT. I especially am glad that they kept the same actors/actresses throughout all the movies. They eventually grew on me. Now every time I think of Edmund, Lucy, Peter, or Susan, the actors/actresses come into my mind.  Though the movies could definitely have stayed closer to the books, I liked how they took their own spin on the books as well. BBC struck me as 'too faithful' and I feel like I wasn't watching an adaptation, but more of the books taken and put on screen exactly the way they were. 

Though this may be a hard wish, I hope that Netflix can be faithful to the most part, while also taking some of the lines or scenes and tweaking it a little to show that they made an effort to create Narnia on their own. 

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2021 9:22 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@kingedthejust

I bought the BBC Narnia on DVD so I actually own both versions.  And I also own Focus on the Family.  Perhaps there are other people who like Narnia enough to buy versions other than the books, which I have in hardcover.  You don’t mind spending the money on them if you are a real fan.  People have asked me, “Do those books really mean that much to you?”  And I answer them “Yes!”   🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2021 1:58 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I haven't thought of this. It's hard to say what Netflix would do if they kept up with the Walden franchise. Would Netflix have done a continuation of a Lord of the Rings knock-off, somewhat? Would The Last Battle have multiple endings like Return of the King? Would there have been to many action scenes in The Silver Chair, The Horse and His Boy, The Magician's Nephew, and The Last Battle? We'll never know.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2021 3:17 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @courtenay

Yes, it has been intentional. I saw the first film when it came out in 2005 and thought it was very well done in and of itself — it started out well, but I felt it ended up failing to capture the lovely, gentle, understated spirit of the book (which I've known since I was 4 or 5 years old and it's always been a big part of my life).

I was 12 when the movie first came out, and I saw it theaters (at the time, I've read series only about two years ago since I was introduced to the series when I was ten).

Too many added action scenes and I just couldn't warm to that particular portrayal of Aslan. It's not a bad film, but for me it just wasn't Narnia.

I think the thing was Aslan wasn't set up properly. While the death of his stone table is sad to watch, it was only like "Oh, this really nice guy is now guy!" He was more on the line of Gandalf or Obi-Wan Kenobi.

I think Hollywood has an excuse for adding action scenes or chase scenes. In the slow and suspenseful moments of the books, it's as Hollywood says, "Hey let's have an action or action scene here! It will make it more exciting!"

So when I heard that Prince Caspian went noticeably further from the original story to the point where quite a lot of fans weren't happy (especially with the implied Susan-Caspian romance... ugh)

Prince Caspian was well done from a cinematic point of view. Though while I was glad they gave the girls more interaction with Prince Caspian, I could have done without the Caspian and Susan romance. I thought it was a bit forced (that actually started with an April Fool's Joke on Narniaweb but of course, Walden took it as fact. Somehow, Narniaweb decided to banned the April Fools Jokes). It doesn't really make sense anyhow, because Caspian later goes on to marry Ramandu's daughter. I would have preferred if Susan and Caspian had more a sibling like relationship.

and then Dawn Treader strayed so far from the book that it was almost unrecognizable

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was well done cinematically. I've liked the design of the Dawn Treader, even the helicopter shot. I even liked how they did the picture in the bedroom, where they had the water gushing out of the picture, flooding the room. I also liked how they've used the Pauline Baynes illustrations at the end credits. I'll give credit that they didn't give Coriakin a long beard like he's described in the book. It's almost too cliche to have a wizard with a long beard, so for Coriakin, they went for the opposite of Gandalf or  However the Green Mist was the last straw! And the plot line almost doesn't make any sense! "We need to find seven swords to fight the Green Mist that wishes to steal the light from this world!"

It may be possible that if Netflix had kept within the Walden continuity, they would have added action scenes or chase scenes. Shocked  

In The Silver Chair, where a lot of it just walking and talking, who knows? Would they have added a chase scene with the stone giants or would have the gnomes break out to Cair Paravel?

There is a chase scene in The Horse And His Boy when Aslan chased Shasta and Bree and Aravis and Hwin. Though I could kind of see where Hollywood play that up a bit more. Could there have been an action scene in Tashbaan?

In The Magician's Nephew, how about an action scene or a chase scene when Digory and Polly and Fledge are going to the Garden of Youth?

In The Last Battle, the scene where Tirian, Eustace and Jill are quietly walking to Stable Hill to rescue Jewel. Now could there have been a chase scene with the Calormenes or could Tirian and Eustace have fought the Calormenes to rescue Jewel?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 30, 2023 9:25 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: