Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What do you most hope Netflix will get "right"?

Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

I don't think there's already a discussion on this exact topic, but it's something I've been thinking about ever since the Netflix series (or the possibility of it?) was announced, and I just thought it'd be interesting to hear others' ideas on it too.

Out of all the scenes and episodes and exchanges in the books, which one(s) would you most like to see done by Netflix (or any other future producers!) in a way that really does justice to the original story? What "classic Narnia moments" can you not wait to see, and how would you most like to see them treated? Especially if previous screen versions of the stories left those scenes out, or did them in a way that didn't match up to what you'd hoped.

I can think of a few of my own, off the top of my head, but would love to hear from other NarniaWebbers first... Smile  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 20, 2021 12:01 pm
Jasmine, Cleander, Narnian78 and 1 people liked
KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut

If I were to see a scene done by Netflix, it would be two specific scenes. 

The first scene would be the scene in HHB when Aravis is telling the rest of them her story. That scene was one of my favorite scenes and I would love to see it done on the screen.  The actors/actresses would need the perfect tone or emotions to fit with the scenes and the background would be in a well-hidden wood.  I would especially love to see the whole HHB done on the screen, but that scene especially would need to be perfect. 

"And now, Tarkheena, tell us your story. And don't hurry it — I'm feeling comfortable now." Aravis immediately began, sitting quite still and using a rather different tone and style from her usual one. For in Calormen, storytelling (whether the stories are true or made up) is a thing you're taught, just as English boys and girls are taught essay-writing." - Horse and his Boy 

The second scene would be in the Silver Chair when they arrive at the House of Harfang. I would love to see the Giants animated well, especially with the technology these day. I want to see the detail put into the King and the Queen's robes.  Of course it would be amazing to see them maximize everything in the house to make it feel to the audience like you are actually there. I would especially want to see the characters  navigate around the enormous house. 

Those are just two scenes I would love to see done well on screen. Grin  

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 20, 2021 1:52 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

There was the scene in Voyage of the Dawn Treader where Ramandu is given food each day by the birds, and it takes a little off his age. That is the one that I would like to see the most. It is in the BBC Narnia and in the Focus on the Family Radio Theatre. However, Ramandu does not appear in the movie version, which I think was a big mistake.  Only his daughter shows up, making the whole scene incomplete.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 21, 2021 5:34 am
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

- The scene in Coriakin's house when Lucy first goes upstairs. The absolute stillness of the atmosphere would be really cool if pulled off correctly.

- Aslan's grief over Digory's mother. It really shows you Aslan's heart and is overall just an extremely moving moment that deserves to include and done well.

- Puddleglum's introduction. Because he's awesome and must be portrayed with sufficient awesomeness.

- The Parliament of Owls!

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 21, 2021 9:53 pm
Kokoro Hane, Narnian78, KingEdTheJust and 1 people liked
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

I personally hope that they get CS Lewis' ideas right, especially the themes and undertones. While BBC only got to book 4 and Walden to book 3, I don't feel like either adaptation did the best with this (BBC often omitted them to align more with the secular values of the company.  On the other hand, Walden sometimes engaged with them, but Adamson and Co's understanding of Lewis' ideas tended to be surface-level at best and completely miss the point at worst). 

Just go for it, without worrying about offending people.  I do make some exceptions, like "Battles are ugly when women fight".  Seeing as Jack technically broke his own rules later on (see; Jill in LB + Lucy in HHB).  And MAKE SURE MAKE SURE MAKE SURE that it is clear that there are good POC and evil white characters (like not all Calormenes are bad, the Telmarines aren't necessarily POC as portrayed by Walden, etc.). 

If that weren't the case, I doubt that characters such as Aravis, Emeth, Cornelius (he was actually dark-skinned in the book), etc. would have been written the way they were.

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 22, 2021 12:02 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

It's a tough one. I do expect there will be changes made, but it has to be done in order to work.

There's debate about how the Calormenes are portrayed as Arabs being racist... but hopefully they can get the portrayal right. Like cast Middle Eastern or a Mediterranean actors to play the roles.

And the Lady of the Green Kirtle and the White Witch should be two different villains.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 5, 2021 3:58 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@jasminetarkheena  Calormenes need to be played by people not readily identifiable as Semitic (Arabic, Hebrew or others of the Middle East).  I have heard Douglas Gresham speak of casting Indian actors to play them. The culture depicted in Horse and His Boy is very like theTales from the Arabian Nights, rather than the Arabic countries of today.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 6, 2021 1:50 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @coracle

Calormenes need to be played by people not readily identifiable as Semitic (Arabic, Hebrew or others of the Middle East).  I have heard Douglas Gresham speak of casting Indian actors to play them.

Yes, Indian actors would be an idea to play the Calormenes. I think the dresses are similar, and both practice arrange marriages. It would be a concern how would two key Calormene characters, Aravis and Emeth, are played out.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 6, 2021 8:08 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think I would like to add is Emeth's encounter with Aslan. This could be good opportunity to show the positive side of the Calormenes. We can even see Aslan from Emeth's perspective. In the book he tells it as a backstory.  A change they might have to make is maybe like where between the first and second chapters be, "About three weeks later", the Calormenes set out to Narnia, disguise as merchants. Another change I could think of they might have to make is where Emeth sees innocent Narnians being sold as slaves or even killed, he has a conscious look on his face. He could realize how murderous Rishda really is (not that I know he was actually aware of it). But I am hoping that Netflix will get the scene where Emeth meets with Aslan right. 

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 24, 2022 4:55 pm
jewel
(@jewel)
NarniaWeb Nut

I hope above all else, that the Narnia series always retain its spiritual Christian heritage from C. S. Lewis. The Narnia books are great adventure stories but if you are to devoid them of their Christian symbolism then they have lost their purpose. The Narnia movies must always reflect the Christian values of C. S. Lewis. Likewise, I want the films to stay faithful to the books. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 25, 2022 6:04 am
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @jewel

I hope above all else, that the Narnia series always retain its spiritual Christian heritage from C. S. Lewis. The Narnia books are great adventure stories but if you are to devoid them of their Christian symbolism then they have lost their purpose. The Narnia movies must always reflect the Christian values of C. S. Lewis. Likewise, I want the films to stay faithful to the books. 

I hope so too! I think even non-Christians who love the books might be disappointed if the stories were altered to remove Christian themes and messages. Those elements are just far too central to what Lewis wrote to be removed without gutting the entire story, like you pointed out. Narnia without Christ isn't Narnia.

What's great about Narnia though is that it never feels too heavy with its themes either. (Which is why it far surpasses much of modern Christian fantasy fiction).  People can enjoy it no matter where they're coming from, and the messages are there for those who are willing to listen to them. So to the scriptwriters for the series, (should they ever read this thread) I would just say not to worry about offending those who dislike the Christian themes in Narnia. People of all ages and backgrounds have enjoyed these stories for over seven decades, and if Netflix does a good job and sticks to the books,  they can spread that enjoyment and cash in on it too! 

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 25, 2022 10:09 pm
fledge1
(@fledge1)
NarniaWeb Nut

I really want them to just get the whole story as much as they can. Not add a ton of unnecessary fluff. (green mist for example) 

I also really hope they get the horses right on HHB. 

I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 26, 2022 7:43 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Another I hope Netflix to get right is to sell on the emotion of despair and hope, which @gp often likes to talk about.

Netflix should take time to let us know what a dark place Narnia is in, and end with taking time to feel the joy.

In The Silver Chair, they should take time in the despair that Caspian is going to die without an heir. When Prince Rilian returns to Narnia, they should take time for Narnia to feel the joy that their prince is back in Narnia.

In The Horse And His Boy, they should let us know that Shasta is in a hopeless situation, being treated like a slave. When he gets to Archenland, and realizes he's a prince, take time to feel the joy that he's where he truly belongs.

In The Magician's Nephew, sell on that Digory's mother is at the point of death, and take time to feel the joy that she has recovered after eating the apple from Narnia.

In The Last Battle, sell on that Narnia has been taken by Calormenes and Narnia has come to a end, and take time to feel the joy that all of our beloved characters (there's a whole list of them) are in the new Narnia.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 26, 2022 8:49 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

A list I have that I hope Netflix (if they're still on the edge) to get right are:

The Wood Between The Worlds in MN. That would be difficult to visualize. But I can almost picture like a green color atmosphere with a dim light reflecting from each pool.

The Unwelcome Fellow Traveler in HHB. Imagine hearing Aslan "Myself" three times, each in a different voice. I would like it to be more like a documentary, where they show up a close up of Shasta's face, and hears a voice in the background. A change they may have to make is perhaps Aslan show as a speck of light.

Emeth's meeting with Aslan. That can be a powerful moment there, where we get to see Aslan from Emeth's perspective. Now perhaps maybe a change they may have to make is that instead of showing Tirian and the seven Friends of Narnia tasting the fruit, perhaps show Emeth meeting with Aslan. In the book, he tells it as a flashback.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 28, 2023 12:13 pm
Share: