Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Scenes From The Narnia Books You Just Can't Wait To See In A Movie

Page 1 / 3
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

BBC and Walden adapted The Chronicles of Narnia into series and films. However, each have pulled the plug (BBC after The Silver Chair and Walden after The Voyage of the Dawn Treader). Now that we have confirmation that Greta Gerwig will be writing and directing at least two Narnia films (we still don't know which of those two will be, but we'll probably hear something before too long), hope still remains to see all seven being made on screen.

I thought we should talk about what scenes from the books we just can't wait to see in a movie. Here are my top 3-

3. The Wood Between The Worlds from The Magician's Nephew. This scene has potential to be visualized beautifully. Perhaps some greenery and light reflecting the pools. There could even be a string of music as Digory and Polly are exploring the wood.

2. The Unwelcome Fellow Traveler from The Horse And His Boy. This is a powerful moment in the book. Imagine seeing Shasta riding on a dumb horse and hearing Aslan's voice in the background. Not only that, but hearing Aslan saying "Myself' three times each in a different voice- deep and low, loud and clear, and almost in a whisper. A change they would probably have to make is perhaps have Shasta riding in a mist or fog and a speck of light as Aslan is speaking in the background.

1. Emeth's Encounter with Aslan from The Last Battle. If there are some scenes in the books that would have to require some changes to make it work for a new medium, I understand that. Though it is my wish that Emeth's meeting with Aslan is 100% from the book. A movie would probably want to rush through it or even tweak it some. However, seeing Aslan from Emeth's perspective could such a powerful and beautiful moment.

Here are some honorable mentions-

Lucy's First Entrance into Narnia from The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe. I think Narnia adaptations get close on occasion. Both BBC and Walden pretty much got this scene right. I would be interested how a new The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe movie will be able to do this- where Lucy steps into the wardrobe and has this child like wonder when she steps into Narnia.

The Duel from Prince Caspian. The Walden, while intense, did this scene really well. I think it would be idea to see it done in slow motion. Perhaps a close up shot of Peter and Miraz as they're dueling.

Tashbaan from The Horse And His Boy. I would be interested how a movie will be able to pull of Tashbaan. It could be a vast city and totally different than Cair Paravel in Narnia (though both are located on islands in the deltas of each of their major rivers).

Digory Feeding His Mother The Apple Piece by Piece from The Magician's Nephew. I think a movie should take their time on this scene. Perhaps no dialogue and a close up shot of each piece of the apple.

Caspian's Resurrection from The Silver Chair. This could be an impact that there is hope beyond death. I would like for Aslan, Eustace and Jill to take their time to mourn for Caspian's death. No dialogue and a string of music until Aslan instructs Eustace to pluck a thorn and drives it into his paw. Then the blood spills on the stream and Caspian is in Aslan's country.

Is there any particular scene from the Narnia books that you just can't wait to see a movie?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 7, 2023 11:51 am
Carley
(@carley)
Member Knight of NarniaWeb

If they do Magician's Nephew, I'd really like to see Charn. I've always found that part so interesting since it's the only time we see another world besides Narnia. The atmosphere is so eerie with the big red sun and yet darkness everywhere. I wonder how they would make it look ancient and yet otherworldly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2023 12:25 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

2. The Unwelcome Fellow Traveler from The Horse And His Boy. This is a powerful moment in the book. Imagine seeing Shasta riding on a dumb horse and hearing Aslan's voice in the background. Not only that, but hearing Aslan saying "Myself' three times each in a different voice- deep and low, loud and clear, and almost in a whisper. A change they would probably have to make is perhaps have Shasta riding in a mist or fog and a speck of light as Aslan is speaking in the background.

I'd really love to see this one done too, despite the difficulties of filming a scene with an extended conversation that, in the book, takes place in near-total darkness! I've been thinking about it and here's how I imagine it could be done...

Start out with Shasta falling behind the other riders, the scene getting darker and mistier as he goes up into the mountains, until it's nearly pitch black. No need to sustain this on screen for as long as it goes in the book, so long as we get the sense that it's been a long and dreary ride for Shasta. Then he can groan out loud in despair, something like "Oh, why do things keep going wrong for me? I must be the unluckiest boy in the world..."... and at that moment we hear heavy breathing next to him...

Shasta sits up in fear, cries out "What... what are you??" and the conversation with the Unwelcome Fellow Traveller begins. I think at this point, the cameras could start to show a slight glow of light in the darkness next to Shasta and cut back and forth between him and it as the exchange goes on, with the light getting very slightly brighter each time. The actual conversation could be edited down a fair bit — Lewis himself doesn't give us Shasta's exact words as he recounts his life story, since that's redundant for readers, as it is for viewers. I'd love us to hear Aslan say to Shasta "Tell me your sorrows" — such a tender line — but abridge what Shasta says next. Maybe just cut it down to something like "I don't know who I really am or who my parents were... I've come such a long way... we kept getting chased by LIONS!... and now I'm lost, and Narnia is in danger, and I don't know where I am or where I'm going..." (that sort of thing — I'm writing on the fly here) That brings us pretty quickly to the crucial exchange: "I do not call you unfortunate."  "But — don't you think it was unlucky, meeting so many lions?" "There was only one lion..." (Hence why Shasta's mention of lions needs to still be in there, because this bit is so iconic!)

I'm imagining by this stage the light next to Shasta could be bright enough for us to tell it's coming from some large creature walking beside him in the mist, and on "I was the lion" we see clearly that it's the shape of a huge lion. I'd continue the conversation pretty much word for word from the book from there in (it's too good to change!), and by the end of it we see Aslan clearly, with light radiating from him. Shasta slips down off the horse and falls to his knees in wordless awe; Aslan bends down to kiss his forehead, and then the light and the surrounding mist ("the pale brightness of the mist and the fiery brightness of the Lion") swirl together and fill the scene until there's a total white-out... and as the scene fades back in, Shasta is alone again, looking down into the Narnian valley in morning light, with birds singing.

... That's just how I'd handle a crucial but hard-to-film episode from the books, without making any substantial changes to the original story! Grin  

The other scene I'd most love to see (apart from the ones that have been mentioned already!) is the creation of Narnia in MN. That's going to be an incredible challenge for any director, but it definitely needs to be beyond awesome. I just hope whoever does it can do it justice!

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2023 12:43 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@carley 

I would like to see Charn as well. It should totally be different than our world and Narnia. Perhaps eerie atmosphere would be idea. Even seeing the different expressions on the figures in the Hall of Images, indicating who were the nice ones and who were the not so nice ones.

@courtenay

I've actually imagine the stars at the Creation of Narnia to sound like an angelic choir. They would obviously have to get the right composer for this scene. While there isn't really any particular composer I have in mind (maybe Hans Zimmer or Howard Shore), this scene can be done beautifully both visually and musically.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 7, 2023 5:29 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)

@jasmine_tarkheena is there a particular reason why you've posted and deleted and reposted pretty much exactly the same thing in this discussion (replying to both me and Carley) 4 times now? There's an edit option if you look back at something you've posted and see anything you'd like to change... Confused  

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2023 5:35 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay 

I'm sorry about that. I kind of did that so I could give anyone else a chance to respond and share some ideas.

Both you and @carley had great ideas, and I'm looking forward to some other's ideas as well.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 7, 2023 5:41 pm
AslanTheLion
(@aslanthelion)
NarniaWeb Regular

Since you mention BBC and Walden pulling the plug on the series prematurely, I almost wonder if the animated version of LWW was originally going to be followed up with more adaptations. I also wonder if BBC ever planned to continue the series. Considering how low-budget it was, I’m guessing they simply knew when to quit (with the last three books involving talking horses, Aslan creating Narnia, and a huge battle, they simply weren’t adaptable on the budget the show had).

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2023 8:37 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

A scene that I would very much like to see is Ramandu’s appearance in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I really like the part where the birds come every day to Ramandu and take a little off his age. The scene is in the BBC Narnia and Focus on the Family’s Dawn Treader, but unfortunately it is not in the Walden movie. Would a new movie or TV series include it?  I would certainly hope so. Ramandu and his daughter were both intriguing characters even though they appeared briefly, I think both of them should be included in any version of Voyage of the Dawn Treader. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2023 9:26 pm
PrinceRillianIX
(@rilianix)
NarniaWeb Regular

While I hope Netflix doesn't go near The Silver Chair for a while, I'm most intrigued to see how The Lady of the Green Kirtle and the mystery surrounding her is handled, especially when it comes to Rillian's disappearance and her meeting Jill, Eustace and Puddleglum with the mysterious Knight beside her. Will we see everything that led up to Rillian's disappearance like we did in the BBC version, and how will they make her less suspect for people who haven't read the book?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2023 4:57 am
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@aslanthelion That's a good question. The Lion's Call actually found a storyboard for an animated The Magician's Nephew. There was going to be an animated The Magician's Nephew, so one would wonder how would it have been if it did get made.

@narnian78 I was actually kind of sad that Walden cut out Ramandu. So I would be happy if a new movie or series includes him! Not only that, but I wouldn't mind if Caspian and Ramandu's daughter's relationship was expanded on a bit (keep it low-key, of course). An imply romance there could be sweet and innoncent. After Caspian comes back from the world's end, he can invite her to come with him to Narnia.

@rilianix I think that will be a real challenge for a movie where Eustace, Jill, and Puddleglum meet the Lady of the Green Kirtle and the Black Knight! How would they do that without giving much away? It will be interesting how they will be able to handle that!

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 8, 2023 7:44 am
Narnian78 liked
PrinceRillianIX
(@rilianix)
NarniaWeb Regular

@jasmine_tarkheena What didn't help the BBC version is, not only does Barbara Kellerman's Lady comes across naturally untrustworthy and false, but we also know her as an actress who plays villains in this series and we literally saw her in the flashback enticing Rillian.

It might be wise for the Netflix adaptation, if they get to it, to try and change Rillian seeing her when searching for his mother's killer, especially as he literally sees a woman dressed in green because when we and our heroes see a beautiful woman in green with a knight whose face we don't see, alarm bells start ringing instantly...

And I'm not a huge fan of that, as much as I love the book, because it feels like we're miles ahead of Jill, Eustace and Puddleglum which shouldn't really be the case.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2023 8:07 am
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@rillianix Right. I think it would be idea to see Rilian's despair and grief after the loss of his mother and is in search for the serpent! Then we can see the close up of the changes in his eyes when he sees the beautiful woman in green!

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 8, 2023 8:13 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)

@rillianix Yes, in that case it's actually bad plotting by Lewis (for once), rather than the fault of the BBC — though as you say, it also didn't help that they used the same actress who'd played two previous villains. But that's one of the few instances in which I wouldn't mind it being changed somewhat from the book so that we don't see (or hear) that Rilian disappeared after seeing a beautiful but sinister woman in green. As it is in the book, as soon as any reader gets up to the encounter with the speechless knight and the Lady of the Green Kirtle, who just seems far too suspiciously nice to be genuine, we're all wanting to scream at Jill and Eustace, "Come ON, for goodness' sake, who else could this possibly be???" Shocked Eyebrow D\'oh  

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2023 10:17 am
PrinceRillianIX
(@rilianix)
NarniaWeb Regular

@courtenay Yeah exactly, and to be fair to Lewis it might have been his intention and he does gets away with a lot of it because of the fact it's just the written word. In a visual medium, it doesn't work as well because we can see full well that the woman on the horse is the same one Rillian saw in the woods.

I'm 100% all for seeing the sequences described in the book that are pre-Rillian's disappearance, they give a lot of context and it's always nice in a film or television series to see these things rather than just hear about them. But when it comes to Rillian and the beautiful woman in the woods, it's probably best to leave it out and rather focus on Rillian's search for revenge against the monster who killed his mother and then also the mystery of what happened to him is even more clouded and sinister.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2023 11:31 am
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Hopefully, they still can get the scene where Drinian tells Caspian, "It's my fault that your son has gone missing!" in a really heartbreaking way! Caspian then attempts to kill Drinian, then comes to his senses, "I have already my lost my queen and my son! Should I lose my best friend also?" Caspian, who already lost his wife and son, doesn't want to risk losing his dear friend as well! So a movie should do it in a heart breaking way!

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 8, 2023 11:53 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: