Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Radio and Audio Adaptations

Page 1 / 5
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

Here is the general thread to discuss audio versions of Narnia!

I have yet to listen to any of the audiobooks, and have only heard bits and pieces of the BBC radio versions, but I first listened to the Focus on the Family Radio Theatre versions when I was a kid and greatly enjoyed them. One of the first times I really fell in love with Narnia was listening to the first time Digory enters the Wood Between the Worlds. The image of that wood stuck with me for years.

Do ya'll have a favorite audio adaptation?

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 7, 2020 4:26 pm
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

I'm about to embark on the adventure of listening to the Focus on the Family radio dramas for the first time and I am VERY excited. Grin I've heard so many great things about them over the years!!

I was going to start the series with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but I saw some Narnia fans say that the best one to start with is The Magician's Nephew. *cough* @impending-doom *cough* Tongue Anybody want to weigh in on this and help me decide? Giggle

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2020 6:42 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Well, you can argue that it's better to start with The Magician's Nephew because, unlike with the book series, I believe it was actually produced first and always intended to be the beginning. (In the opening narration, they refer to Narnia as if the listener hasn't heard anything about it where Lewis referred to it as if readers had.) I'd still probably start with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe though out of "party loyalty." (And that actually was the audio drama to which I listened first.) Since you're already familiar with the stories, I don't think it's a huge deal.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2020 7:53 pm
Sun-muffin
(@sun-muffin)
NarniaWeb Nut

I’m sure you’ll love the focus on the family dramas! They are a favorite of mine. Seeing as how you aren’t new to Narnia, I don’t think it’ll matter too much in what order you listen. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2020 10:40 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

I sort of remember listening to the Focus on the Family adaptations when they first came out; but not well enough to know which one I heard first, apparently. I do know I've listened to them all multiple times since then, so I'm going to say @rose should start with Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It's rather like you, the listener, are pulled through the painting with Edmund and Lucy and Eustace. Smile  

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 11, 2020 7:18 am
Matthew Musgrave
(@matthew-musgrave)
NarniaWeb Newbie

The Rose-Tree Dryad, did you end up listening to all 7, and if so what did you think? The Focus on the Family radio dramas are my favorite adaptions of the Chronicles, and I would even argue John Campbell's 10 hours of music for the radio dramas are even better than Harry Gregson William's music, (but that's just my opinion). I put together a website recently showing 26 of the themes I could find, (there might be more), themes for Aslan, Lucy, Reepicheep, Eustace, Puddleglum, Rilian, Tirian, Polly, etc. While I'm fairly good at spotting musical themes, I don't know much about music itself, and I would love if someone who is passionate about these radio dramas and knows some things about music would be willing to write a short paragraph about each theme. If so, you can reach me at narnianmusic@gmail.com, and if you just want to visit the website, here is the link: https://matthewsmediamusings.home.blog/

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2021 6:45 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have streamed both the BBC Radio 4 and Focus on the Family Radio Theatre online. It might well be worth to compare the two, to see which one is better.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2021 8:03 am
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

@Matthew-Musgrave, sorry for the belated reply, and welcome to NarniaWeb Forum! Wave Unfortunately, I  still have not listened to the FotF radio dramas, to my great dismay and extreme busyness. Giggle I had almost no free time during the latter half of 2020 and it hasn't been much better in 2021. Except for Talking Beasts, I have fallen behind on all my podcasts as well. Terrible state of things. Tongue I am still very keen on listening to them and am hoping to start them over the holidays when there's a little more free time. Smile

Your website about John Campbell's themes is a neat project! I hope you can find another Narnia fan with more musical knowledge to lend a hand. I'm not extremely knowledgeable about music myself, but I find reading the Wikipedia pages about various hit songs helps me understand the instrumentation, progression, et cetera. Usually they're written by someone who knows their stuff and can break the song down into words, and I'll learn new music words and ways to describe music this way. 👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 10, 2021 10:32 am
Anfinwen
(@anfinwen)
NarniaWeb Nut

@matthew-musgrave Cool website! That's a really neat idea. I love the music John Campbell did for Narnia. You can also go to his own site to hear music samples without voices in the "fantasy beautiful" section. 

@rose Whenever you do get to listen, I hope you'll share your thoughts! 

Screen-Shot-2018-10-13-at-1-35-56-PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 10, 2021 3:58 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I'll get on the record with the casting between the adaptations.

Both Stephen Thorne and David Suchet have powerful voices as Aslan. He's perhaps the hardest character to get right.

Camilla Power, who also portrayed Jill in the BBC-Series of The Silver Chair, and Elizabeth Eaton both brought out the innocence in Lucy.

Polly March voiced Mrs. Beaver in both versions. So there really no need to compare the two.

Both Sylvester McCoy, who is Radagast in The Hobbit Film Trilogy and Robert Benfield, who also voices the adult Edmund, did Reepicheep so well.

Paul Rhys and Gwynne Beech played Tirian so well.

Honestly, I don't know why Ginger was voiced by a woman, Janet Maw; she was fine, but I think Paul Ewing was better.

While I enjoyed Philip Jackson as Rishda fine, I think Stash Kirkebride was the better Rishda. Maybe Netflix will bring him back as Rishda (just kidding. Don't fall for it).

Kim Wall was good as Emeth (my favorite character), but I think Charlie Burnell was better. Maybe Netflix will bring him back as Emeth (just kidding. Don't fall for it).

I could go on and do the comparison of the cast, but I think it would take too long. It could be more of a podcast or a YouTube discussion.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 11, 2021 8:38 pm
Narnian78 liked
NarnianRose
(@narnianrose)
NarniaWeb Regular

I love the Focus on the Family Audio Theater adaption of the Chronicles. I listened to the books in Chronological order so my first experience with this version was The Magician's Nephew. I was 100% sold on the adaption when I heard the sound effects for Aslan creating Narnia.

I have listened to all 7 books multiple times but my favorite Focus on the Family adaptions, at this moment, are The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, and The Magician's Nephew. I love listening to this adaptions with headphones because I am feel as though I am another character going on the Narnian adventures.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2021 6:10 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@jasminetarkheena I bought the set of FotF CDs the year that Walden's LWW came out, and bought a new copy online about two years ago. It's good not to have to rely on streaming.   I had loved hearing HHB and LWW serialised on our Christian radio station in the late 90s and I have to admit that these adaptations sometimes seem canon (but then I make myself check the books again).

I'd like to hear the BBC audio series - did Camilla Power voice Lucy? Wow.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2021 9:53 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@coracle I will possibly get a set of both the BBC Radio 4 and Focus on the Family Radio Theatre to do a comparison between the two.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2021 9:27 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think I would recommend buying the audiobooks of Focus on the Family on CD over any download version of the stories.  The quality of the audio is far better, and you can experience a real soundscape of Narnia.  I bought the audiobooks of each drama separately, although I think now you can get all seven stories in one set.  I recommend starting with the The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, just like the preferred reading order of the books.  But of course the order of listening is up to you.:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2021 6:59 pm
Courtenay and Jasmine liked
Shmatterson
(@shmatterson)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I love most of John Cambell's score for the Focus on the Family version(and his work on Adventures in Odyssey), but one point in the Last Battle uses a little piece of music very similar to one that was used extensively in the Lord of the Rings movies. Does anyone know which was made first?  *puts conspiracy theory hat on.

The last battle scene:

Lord of the Rings Uruk Hai music:

Just something I've noticed before when listening to The Last Battle on CD.

"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2021 5:22 pm
Page 1 / 5
Share: