Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Netflix Hints at Narnia Theatrical Release

Page 1 / 2
Impending Doom
(@impending-doom)
Adventurous Stranger Knight of NarniaWeb

A new interview with a Netflix executive dropped recently and there's two interesting bits for Narnia fans. Scott Stuber, Head of Global Film at Netflix gets asked about their plan to release 8-12 films per year in theatres and says this.

We had to build an infrastructure of executive talent who could speak film. It was recruiting that talent. Getting Marty Scorsese, getting Alfonso Cuaron, Susanne Bier, Paul Greengrass.

Then we moved into a slate of talent-drive, R-rated films. We had to build a development pipeline. Sometimes people forget that our film group is four years old. We started with nothing. We’re finally getting there.

"We’re talking to Guillermo Del Toro, Greta Gerwig, David Fincher. We’ve gone out and made acquisitions with the C.S. Lewis books and the Dahl catalog.”

Some very interesting implications...

"Tollers, there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves." - C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 22, 2022 9:29 am
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

The fact that Greta Gerwig and the C.S. Lewis books are mentioned in the same breath is definitely interesting. It adds some credence to the rumor from last month. (Also, I'm reminded that Guillermo del Toro was linked to adapting Narnia, once upon a time!)

The possibility that we might see theatrical adaptations is also exciting! I think a lot of fans would be delighted if that happened.

Also, I find it interesting that he says "the C.S. Lewis books" and not just Narnia here. Is it possible that Netflix has the rights to adapt other works by Lewis, too?

Personally, for my own sanity, I'm trying not to get too excited about things moving forward until we know for sure that they are... it was just under a couple years ago that Scott Stuber also mentioned Narnia in a NYT article. So I'm hopeful and intrigued, but not holding my breath. Giggle  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2022 9:49 am
coracle liked
Impending Doom
(@impending-doom)

I've actually only seen Dawn Treader in theatres, so I was never too concerned about missing out on that theatrical experience with future Narnia adaptations on Netflix 😜

But I'm encouraged at the possibility! I know it adds a level of legitimacy in people's mind and I can definitely appreciate the 'event' aspect of it all. 

Combined with the Gerwig report last month, I'm hoping this is an indication that the pieces are finally coming together. Hopefully, we'll continue to see some forward movement after all these years.

Posted by: @rose

Also, I find it interesting that he says "the C.S. Lewis books" and not just Narnia here. Is it possible that Netflix has the rights to adapt other works by Lewis, too?

Now that would be interesting! Space Trilogy anyone?

"Tollers, there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves." - C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 22, 2022 10:18 am
coracle liked
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Maybe he read the thread in the Rumors forum and agreed with me that if Greta Gerwig were to direct a movie based on a book by C. S. Lewis, it would have to be Till We Have Faces. Tongue  

I'm dying to see the creation of Narnia from The Magician's Nephew on the big screen. Actually, I'm dying to see most of the books on the big screen. But I'll be surprised if any Narnia adaptations are part of the "slate of 8-12 movies" the interviewer suggested. I thought Netflix only wanted to release their award-bait movies in cinemas. None of the Narnia books qualify as award bait. (SimplyScripts.com has the screenplays considered for award nomination online if you want to see what qualifies as award bait.) But they were apparently one of the first things that came to Scott Stuber's mind.

So either Narnia is going to be changed beyond recognition by Netflix's adaptations (it's worth noting that all the directors Stuber mentioned are Oscar darlings) or Netflix is desperate to get as many movies in theaters as possible. As fans, let's hope it's the latter. 

This post was modified 1 year ago by Col Klink

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2022 11:10 am
coracle and Duffle liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

It would certainly be something to see a Narnia adaption on the big screen again. And like a lot of us Narnia fans on here, I am still bit of a skeptic. I just want a well done adaption. I've enjoyed the three Walden adaptions fine, though they're not perfect. The BBC series are fine as well, though I can't say they're any better than the Walden trilogy.

Maybe not some big Hollywood extravaganza but going for a smaller budget would be nice for a change.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2022 11:49 am
Duffle
(@duffle)
NarniaWeb Newbie

This is a huge positive!

Narnia, without a doubt, belongs on the big screen. That was one of my first reactions when the Netflix deal was first announced so I'm thrilled to see they've adjusted their plans to include a theatrical release!

"The Dwarfs are for the Dwarfs"

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2022 11:52 am
Glumpuddle
(@gp)
News Poster, Podcast Producer

I love the communal experience of opening night in a packed theater. Even with a large group, watching at home just isn't the same.

YouTube.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2022 12:25 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Amen @gp!

My immediate thoughts have gone to that set of rumors that surfaced about three months ago. For the most part I wrote off the bulk of them because they made very little sense from a production standpoint. But there was that one little nugget towards the end that basically stated (and I'm paraphrasing) that Netflix was holding Narnia for their new flagship once Stranger Things came to an end. Now THAT to me had a ring of truth, and made 100% sense to me as well as to WHY we haven't seen a single thing since their acquisition of the Narnia property. 

My understanding is that aside from one or more smaller spinoffs, Stranger Things is on its final season, maybe releasing in the next year or two? So if the above rumor is true, perhaps we will finally, FINALLY start seeing things move on Narnia for a release in 2025 maybe?

I also think it's interesting that the above article gives credence to the Greta Gerwig rumor. That's kind of a big deal. 

But as to the purpose of the original post re: being released in a theater. I have to say that I always kind of assumed that would happen so I kind of glossed over that bit of news. The other stuff is more interesting to me. Giggle  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2022 12:50 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

Its a possibility I guess, but from a purely grammatical point of view it makes for a much tidier sentence to compare and contrast "C.S. Lewis" and "Roald Dahl", as two authors, rather than ending the sentence with "Narnia and Dahl" which would have felt weird and confusing as it's not comparing like with like.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2022 12:58 pm
Impending Doom
(@impending-doom)
Posted by: @col-klink

But I'll be surprised if any Narnia adaptations are part of the "slate of 8-12 movies" the interviewer suggested.

I agree. I believe that comment was referencing 8-12 Netflix movies in theatres per year. I can't seem to find to an article to support that claim though. Maybe someone else can help corroborate that?

Posted by: @fantasia

I also think it's interesting that the above article gives credence to the Greta Gerwig rumor. That's kind of a big deal. 

Definitely! I could be burying the lead here, but it's enough of a stretch to not lead with that. Quite the coincidence though! I've always thought the Gerwig rumours were credible and this only adds to it.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 22, 2022 1:14 pm
fantasia liked
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I wonder if it's possible they're hiring Greta Gerwig to do something-but not Narnia. That's really not the impression I got from the recent interview with Kasey Moore who broke the story. But everything is so vague. No idea  

I'm not sure how I'd feel if that turned out to be the case. On the one hand, I didn't think Gerwig made sense for Narnia and it's nice to be proven right. On the other hand, it'd reinforce the impression that Netflix really doesn't have any specific ideas for Narnia. That'd be disappointing. 

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2022 1:42 pm
Glumpuddle
(@gp)
News Poster, Podcast Producer

I wonder if it's possible they're hiring Greta Gerwig to do something-but not Narnia .. On the one hand, I didn't think Gerwig made sense for Narnia and it's nice to be proven right. On the other hand, it'd reinforce the impression that Netflix really doesn't have any specific ideas for Narnia. That'd be disappointing. 

I think that's a pretty good summary of my feelings on Gerwig, except that I lean more positive than you. I don't think of her as the perfect choice for Narnia, But that concern is outweighed by my excitement of having a real storyteller with a vision at the helm (even if the vision isn't my first choice) instead of a bunch of business/marketing majors.

YouTube.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2022 1:48 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Hey, if Narnia ever gets on the big screen again, we might do a youtube video, discussing our thoughts on it (spoiler-free, of course. Though it can be exciting, spoilers would be such a crime).

There are yet four we haven't yet seen on the big screen: The Silver Chair, The Horse and His Boy, The Magician's Nephew, and The Last Battle. In which order they decide to go in, it will still end with The Last Battle, because it is the most logical ending to the series.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2022 2:26 pm
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator
Posted by: @impending-doom

Now that would be interesting! Space Trilogy anyone?

There's so many I'd like to see, but The Screwtape Letters stands out to me as one that Netflix in particular might be interested in adapting to film.

Maybe he read the thread in the Rumors forum and agreed with me that if Greta Gerwig were to direct a movie based on a book by C. S. Lewis, it would have to be Till We Have Faces. Tongue

I can dream! Giggle

Posted by: @fantasia

My understanding is that aside from one or more smaller spinoffs, Stranger Things is on its final season, maybe releasing in the next year or two? So if the above rumor is true, perhaps we will finally, FINALLY start seeing things move on Narnia for a release in 2025 maybe?

This is something that I've been thinking as well: that Netflix would want another kid-focused, special effects-heavy, global phenomenon franchise after Stranger Things wraps up. What's On Netflix estimates that the fifth and final season will be released in 2024, so it makes sense that they're getting ready to invest in another franchise.

Posted by: @icarus

Its a possibility I guess, but from a purely grammatical point of view it makes for a much tidier sentence to compare and contrast "C.S. Lewis" and "Roald Dahl", as two authors, rather than ending the sentence with "Narnia and Dahl" which would have felt weird and confusing as it's not comparing like with like.

Maybe... but it sounds like the article was taken from a phone interview to me, and I feel like he would've just said Narnia if he was speaking verbally. Hmmm   (Am I overthinking this? Very possible. Tongue )

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2022 4:17 pm
Impending Doom
(@impending-doom)

I wonder if it's possible they're hiring Greta Gerwig to do something-but not Narnia.

It's possible that's how it started.

I mentioned in another thread that Gerwig is becoming (and have already be) the kind of director that only makes the movies she wants to make. I'm not familiar with Netflix's courting strategy but it wouldn't surprise me if they simply wanted to work with her, regardless of what specifically it was. Then the opportunity to direct Narnia was discussed as a part of a larger production deal at Netflix. They often have first-look deals with creators agreeing to finance some of their future creative projects.

Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

Hey, if Narnia ever gets on the big screen again, we might do a youtube video, discussing our thoughts on it (spoiler-free, of course. Though it can be exciting, spoilers would be such a crime).

Regardless of what platform it ends up on, there will be plenty of videos, podcasts, and reactions from NarniaWeb! Would love to see more Narnia related Youtubers  🤗 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 22, 2022 6:53 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: