Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Narnia Stage Adaptations

Page 2 / 4
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

That trailer looks awesome! So glad we might get to see more groups across the country do this play.

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2022 10:48 am
CameronKelly
(@cameronkelly)
NarniaWeb Newbie

@the-mad-poet Thank you, I am very excited as well!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2022 8:08 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Disclaimer: This is NOT the Logos Theatre production. I think it's a school or church group play, and perhaps someone from the school [Memphis Fellowship] wrote the script.

The boy playing Bree absolutely steals the show - he is clearly an experienced and confident actor.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2022 3:56 am
Cleander liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I actually got to be in a stage production at a church of The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe years ago, where I played a wood-nymph. It proved to be a bit of a challenge. We blocked off one of the access to backstage and turned into the wardrobe. Perhaps, it would have helped if we had more backstage.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2022 8:43 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Lewis didn’t want his books to be made into plays, but I wonder if he would have changed his mind if he were living today.  There are many good stage adaptations of the Narnia stories. I have never attended a Narnia play, but the dramas have been well received by the public and the critics.  I see them as being a good thing for communication of a book even though they aren’t the same thing as the book itself. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 4, 2022 4:29 am
Jasmine and coracle liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@narnian78 

In all fairness, the Narnia books are not very easy to adapt, especially on stage. The three most challenging I could think of would be The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Magician's Nephew, and The Last Battle.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 4, 2022 8:04 am
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I wonder if they can make animal costumes look real in plays that have talking animals. They might look like the beaver costumes in the BBC Narnia, which some people have criticized, but I think they are somewhat endearing and likable.  At least the badgers in that series looked somewhat like the real thing, and they might have even worked in a play. Of course I will often like things that other people have considered cheesy and old fashioned. I think the costumes would appeal to children who like something simple and unsophisticated.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2022 4:57 am
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

What did Logos theatre do for their talking animals again?

I can't remember any except for Aslan. I think they had the right idea making him somewhat abstract.  

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2022 12:18 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

@glenwit they have a mixture of human actors and puppets. They have created remarkable horses, realistic looking and cleverly operated, fur The Horse And His Boy. The two main human characters ride them convincingly! 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2022 5:40 pm
Narnian78 and Glenwit liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@coracle 

I guess having puppets isn’t acceptable in movies, but people do not seem to object to them in plays. The high technology is so important to movie goers. Perhaps it has too much importance.  A play of course is a live performance, and not all of the technology can be included to make it believable.  I like puppets even though some people may think them too artificial. They are an important part of the theater experience.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2022 4:13 am
coracle liked
coracle
(@coracle)

The puppet-master and his team at Logos are amazingly skilled. I watched HHB there in 2019 when they first staged it, and totally believed that the horses were real, and their voices were those of the horses!

You might like to follow their preparations on the Logos Theatre facebook site: 

- the first of three (so far) videos about the puppets.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2022 12:48 am
Narnian78 liked
coracle
(@coracle)

Here is a video I just watched on Facebook. It shows the actors playing Shasta, Aravis and Corin, as they prepare and rehearse.

(please let me know if you can't access it)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 16, 2022 6:41 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

It was announced at the Logos Theatre in the last two weeks that the show will be taken up to Washington DC, to play at the theatre in the Museum of the Bible, in January - March 2023.  I've been told 8 weeks with 6 shows a week, which is a huge number of performances.

So if you live anywhere near Washington DC, you might like to keep an eye open for this!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2022 3:57 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@coracle 

Ooh. Maybe at one point, it will come to the State of Oregon, where I am at.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2022 4:56 pm
coracle liked
coracle
(@coracle)

@jasmine_tarkheena 

I don't think they're taking it anywhere else. This is only the second show I've heard of them taking elsewhere since Logos Theatre opened in 2006.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2022 5:19 pm
Page 2 / 4
Share: