Share:
Notifications
Clear all

If you could carry over one thing to Netflix

boomzdaydevice
(@boomzdaydevice)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Hi folks! First post here :D

If you could carry over one thing from a previous iteration of Narnia to the Netflix series, what would you choose?

For me, I think it would be Harry Gregson-Williams' scoring. Especially the main "Narnia theme" which is so undeniably burnt into my head as being the sound that represets that world.

What would you carry over?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 18, 2019 5:56 am
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

Great topic! Welcome to the forum!

My list is short:
1. Harry Gregson-Williams' score. (You are SO right on that!)
2. Andrew Adamson as director.
That's it!

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2019 6:50 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I agree with those two, plus Doug Gresham in ever-increasing power to keep the creativity in line with the books.

When it comes to the child actors, I want to see young actors of the calibre that the Pevensies were in the Walden films.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2019 9:27 am
narnia fan 7
(@narnia-fan-7)
NarniaWeb Guru

I guess I'd carry over the general philosophy Andrew Adamson had with the first two Walden movies in regards to really making sure the world of Narnia felt like a real, believable, lived in place.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2019 2:07 pm
Skilletdude
(@skilletdude)
Member Moderator Emeritus

Say what you will about Barbara Kellerman's constant shouting of the lines as Jadis in the BBC version ( I partially agree with that opinion), but I think I'd like a White Witch more like hers in the new version. Theatrical, completely insane, and evil. That definitely describes Jadis in The Magician's Nephew, and I never got that vibe with Tilda Swinton's performance, solid as it was.

Mary Jane: You know, you're taller than you look.
Peter: I hunch.
Mary Jane: Don't.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2019 1:11 pm
CorazonBandido55
(@corazonbandido55)
NarniaWeb Nut

Telmar’s Hispanic-like culture. Which includes Caspian’s accent. There. I said it.

your fellow Telmarine

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2019 10:00 pm
icarus liked
Reepicheep775
(@reepicheep775)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I guess I'd carry over the general philosophy Andrew Adamson had with the first two Walden movies in regards to really making sure the world of Narnia felt like a real, believable, lived in place.

Mine is similar to this, but a little more specific. I would keep Weta Workshop. The attention to detail that they put into creatures, armour, and weaponry is truly amazing and I think they were one of the big reasons that the first two Walden movies felt as lived-in as they did. Also I would love to get a Part 2 to The Crafting of Narnia. :D

2. Andrew Adamson as director.

I would have been interested in seeing what Andrew Adamson would have done with the stories after PC, but at this stage, I think it would make more sense to get someone new. If he was doing the Netflix adaptations, he would have to remake LWW and PC and that would be kind of odd.

It would be cool to see a single director do all of them, so we a singular vision. On the other hand, it would also be interesting to see wildly different takes on each book, each by a different director.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 21, 2019 10:58 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Probably the production design team. There were a number of other things I loved about the movies. (The first two anyway.) But I think another cast and crew could equal or better them. I don't think the same could be said about the production design.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 21, 2019 1:50 pm
Geekicheep
(@geekicheep)
NarniaWeb Nut

Hi folks! First post here :D

For me, I think it would be Harry Gregson-Williams' scoring. Especially the main "Narnia theme" which is so undeniably burnt into my head as being the sound that represets that world.

Wow, I was just thinking "the music" before I even read your comment! How's that happen? Can you hear thoughts like the Witch in MN? =))

Seriously though, I couldn't agree more! The Narnia theme is "undeniably burnt into my head" as well. I don't think they'll use it though. Enough fans (and many NarniaWebbers, myself included lol) have criticized the last movies that they may want to distance themselves from that series (especially if they are going for a more mature audience). Not that those movies were altogether bad - they were actually pretty good IMO - but they may want a fresh start. But even so, that's what I would keep around. It has become as big a part of the series as the Legend of Zelda's main theme; you hear it and think Narnia.

PS: When you talked about someone's "scoring", my first thought was hockey; I'm sure it's a technical term composers use, but I was thinking, what team is he on? Must be in the NHL (Narnian Hockey League). =))

Yes, I'm a mouse... I mean, a geek!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2019 1:48 pm
Phill Lytle
(@phill-lytle)
NarniaWeb Regular

Harry Gregson-Williams' score - I'd like to add my voice to this suggestion. The score is fantastic. It's beautiful, evocative, and full of wonder and joy.

"Every tear will be redeemed in the hands of God." - J.J. Heller

Rambling Ever On - Finding Truth, Beauty, and Joy in Life

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 27, 2019 4:41 am
boomzdaydevice
(@boomzdaydevice)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Wow, I was just thinking "the music" before I even read your comment! How's that happen? Can you hear thoughts like the Witch in MN? =))

Seriously though, I couldn't agree more! The Narnia theme is "undeniably burnt into my head" as well. I don't think they'll use it though.

I'm 99% certain that they will go with original music rather than paying Disney or whoever owns HGH's score. Which is a real shame!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 29, 2019 12:50 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I don't even know if Netflix is ever going to get to the Narnia project. It was announced in 2018, and now we're in 2023. Netflix has changed so much between now and then.

But if I could carry anything over there, here are some that I could think of:

1. Douglas Gresham as one of the Producers. It would make me feel a lot better if he had some kind of involvement. But then who knows? If not, they would probably have to go to the Estate for some ideas, suggestions, and warnings.

2. Richard Taylor from the Weta Workshop. It's great to see what he came up with for props, especially weaponary. Then of course, I would think Peter's sword and shield, Susan's bow and arrow and horn, and Lucy's dagger and vial with the healing cordial will have to look different.

3. Isis Mussedon for costume design. She had such creative visions for the costumes in the Walden trilogy. If she could do it again, I would like to see what she might come up with for Victorian era in MN or for Jadis in Charn (I think she would have a different dress in MN than she would have in LWW), and for Archenland and Calormene. Even as much I like to "go by the book", it's nice to see someone with a creative vision for costumes.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2023 11:20 am
Courtenay liked
Crunchy-P
(@queencrunchytheweeb)
NarniaWeb Regular

The old Pevensie actors could play the adult versions of them at the end of LWW and the entire HHB.

"Have a Narnian Day!" (ナルニアの日を過ごしましょう!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2023 7:42 pm
Jasmine liked
Share: