Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

If Netflix's Narnia is animated, what should it be like?

Page 3 / 3
Silverlily
(@silverlily)
NarniaWeb Junkie

...I'd want something between Ghibli and classic Disney aesthetically, I think.

And I actually would love for it to be animated. I could see either way on most of the books, but as a former friend pointed out, it's always been easier to get magical creatures that feel believable to work in animation than any other medium.

I do have one weird thought that keeps coming to mind... I know that practically speaking it would be best to pick a medium/format and run with it consistently, I can't get out of my head that while most of the books work fine as cinematic style films, Dawn Treader in particular sort of wants to be a miniseries in my mind. The mess that was the Green Mist happened because they were trying too hard to make a dramatic, unifying plot thread. But Dawn Treader has always been an episodic series of adventures. And if it was lucky enough to be an unlikely miniseries, I would want that miniseries in particular to be animated, regardless of the medium for the other books. I really deeply want to see the Sea Serpent, for instance, as something brightly-colored and wondrous, although dangerous, not as muted-colors nightmare fuel. I want the animation sequence as you glimpse under the surface of the Mermaid kingdom. I want the enchantment-rich setting of Coriakin's castle, and the firebirds' flight from the sun, and even the horrible mysteriousness of the visions around the Dark Island. All of these things would translate marvelously to animation, to my mind - and even the general atmosphere, bright blue ocean and approaching coastlines and brewing storms - and we deserve a well-animated Reepicheep!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2023 12:18 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@jewel 

I liked the 1977 cartoon of The Hobbit, and I also liked The Return of the King movie of The Lord of the Rings. As I remember, both of the cartoons were created by Rankin/Bass.  They didn’t have a lot of money or technology to make them, but I liked the simplicity in their artwork. I remember that they were shown on television many years ago. I would probably like it if Narnia were done with similar simplified animation, but usually with expensive technology is the way that movies are made today. However, I am more old fashioned in my taste. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2023 6:33 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think some people often get animated movies and animated cartoons confused. Animated cartoons are mostly for kids. When I turned 13, I kind of started phased out of cartoons. I still enjoy some of them, but it's not like the main thing when I was a little girl. Animated movies is meant to appeal to both kids and adults.

From a religious aspect, what CBN (Christian Broadcasting Network) does with Superbook is that even though it's 3-D animated show for kids, it is something that is enjoyed by kids and adults alike.

That's what Narnia should do. It's a children's story, but it should also appeal to adults as well. Narnia doesn't have to be animated. But if a Narnia film adaption is something that both kids and adults can appreciate, it will count for something.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2023 8:54 pm
Crunchy-P
(@queencrunchytheweeb)
NarniaWeb Regular

I have an unique idea if Narnia was animated. Maybe for the Earth scenes have the characters be live-action but when they head to Narnia, make them 2D-animated. This also means that the only actors that will need to be identical to their animated counterparts are the kids (and maybe Caspian if they decide to make him live action when he briefly visits Earth before heading to Aslan's Country). This would make the only film to be entirely animated would be The Horse and His Boy.

"Have a Narnian Day!" (ăƒŠăƒ«ăƒ‹ă‚ąăźæ—„ă‚’éŽă”ă—ăŸă—ă‚‡ă†ïŒ)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 15, 2023 10:10 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

If an animated movie is made of Narnia I think it should have a medieval appearance.  It could look like early medieval Europe or England. In that way Narnia is very similar to Tolkien’s books, although Tolkien himself may not have liked the comparison. In fact the movie would probably work if it resembled the stories of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. I would much rather have any film based on Narnia look old fashioned and not have so much technology. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2023 4:54 am
Crunchy-P
(@queencrunchytheweeb)
NarniaWeb Regular
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

That's what Narnia should do. It's a children's story, but it should also appeal to adults as well. Narnia doesn't have to be animated. But if a Narnia film adaption is something that both kids and adults can appreciate, it will count for something.

I also think an anime adaptation could work because many anime are loved by both kids and adults. Netflix has made their fair share of animes so I think it could work. There are various anime adaptations based on popular properties so maybe? 🙂 (If Scott Pilgrim and Anne of Green Gables can get away with it then so can Narnia!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2023 7:06 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@queencrunchytheweeb Narnia is less likely to be converted to anime, because it is not only very English, but also still in copyright. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2023 8:05 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Another alternative in animation would be something like the Prince Valiant comic strip which appeared in newspapers in the 1960’s.  When I was a child I used to read it in The Grand Rapids Press, my local newspaper here in Michigan.  The comic strip was about King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.  Being something very old fashioned and medieval, it might work for Narnia or The Lord of the Rings. There wouldn’t be a problem with the animation looking too modern. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2023 8:42 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

If Narnia is ever to be animated, it will probably be a long time before it happens. The animated LWW first aired in 1979, and it's only 90 minutes long. While the animation is a bit cheesy, it's good enough to keep kids entertained.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2023 2:55 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@jasmine_tarkheena 

The animated film of 1979, which as I remember was a TV special back then, was kind of interesting to watch, but I think it was made to look too much like the 1970’s.  I thought it was somewhat enjoyable, but I actually preferred the BBC Narnia because it had real people as actors. There was also a better recreation of the time setting of the books.  Today I would be more open to an animated film of the books. If it were something like 1977’s The Hobbit it could at least be pretty good even though it may not be great.  I actually like that movie today better than when it came out.

I think it is best to look at the films in the way that C.S. Lewis viewed children’s stories in avoiding a childish desire in trying to be too grown up. I hope I that since I have become older I would have become more mature in the decades since those films were made. Lewis had the best advice on that even though to our knowledge he never saw a Narnia film.  I don’t know if he ever attended any plays based on his books (probably not since he was not in favor of that kind of adaptation). But I think his advice would apply there too. One shouldn’t be childish in evaluating a film for children. The mature adult’s perspective is usually the best.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2023 3:49 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@narnian78 I guess we'll never know why the 1979 animated LWW decided to turn the characters into 1970's style. I wouldn't expect a new Narnia screen adaptation to do that, though.

If Narnia was ever to be animated (which it might not be for a long time), I would say I'd like it to be done in the styles of Don Bluth, of the 80's. The Secret of Nimh (which is adapted from Mrs. Frisbee and the Rats of Nimh) was unheard of at the time. I wouldn't expect Don Bluth to do Narnia, but his style of animation from the 1980's would be something for Narnia.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2023 7:15 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@jasmine_tarkheena 

It would work the best if the beginning of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe would begin with a 1940’s style animation, and when the children reach Narnia the world should look more like the medieval times as is appropriate for a fairy tale. That would be much better than trying to imitate the 1980’s, which I don’t think would work at all. I’m not sure if any of today’s artists could recreate the medieval atmosphere in the Narnia stories.  Perhaps they could create something good like it if they have a deep understanding of the Narnia books.  It is very important that the time of the movie coincides with the periods of the books. The medieval world is the time that C. S. Lewis loved, the old fashioned fairy tale magic and chivalry. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2023 8:18 pm
Crunchy-P
(@queencrunchytheweeb)
NarniaWeb Regular

I would personally prefer Cartoon Saloon to animate it should animated Narnia come true. It could also help to do more complex scenes (ie. The Creation Song in MN, The Undragoning in VDT and The Donkey Transformation in HHB)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2023 11:36 am
Page 3 / 3
Share: