Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Father Christmas in the Netflix Series

Page 2 / 2
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

I also hope Netflix will include Father Christmas — and I agree with Coracle and Cleander, it would be marvellous if they could have him more like the real St Nicholas than the modern Coca-Cola-style version. C.S. Lewis himself obviously didn't think there was anything wrong with including him in Narnia — and the passages about Father Christmas repeatedly emphasise that there's something solemn and mysterious and not at all frivolous about him:

Everyone knew him because, though you see people of his sort only in Narnia, you see pictures of them and hear them talked about even in our world.... But when you really see them in Narnia, it is rather different. Some of the pictures of Father Christmas in our world make him look only funny and jolly. But now that the children actually stood looking at him they didn't find it quite like that. He was so big, and so glad, and so real, that they all became quite still. They felt very glad, but also solemn.... And Lucy felt running through her that deep shiver of gladness which you only get if you are being solemn and still. (LWW, p. 115)

If Netflix could capture that atmosphere somehow (which I don't think previous adaptations have really managed to do), that would be well worth watching!

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2019 1:22 am
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

That description of Father Christmas in the novel really stood out to me in that regard.

There is definitely a seriousness to this version of the character, which commands a healthy respect in addition to gladness and excitement. I really hope the Netflix series honours that. Reading this description also makes me re-think how Father Christmas would talk. He seems more soft-spoken, yet with a voice which still carries power behind it.

Looking forward to see what they do with the character and that scene.

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2019 3:19 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Yes, I think Netflix should not go for the cliche "Jolly Old St Nick" look for Father Christmas!

Maybe he could look like the Ghost of Christmas Present from A Christmas Carol.

I also thought of perhaps having Father Christmas visiting the Beavers and the children and the forest animals all at once.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2023 5:04 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru
For anyone who is interested, there is a fun Infographic here which explains the various personifications of the Christmas Holiday which have existed over the centuries, including Santa Claus, Father Christmas, and others.

(Not sure why that all came out in bold font)

Posted by: @col-klink

I wonder if these skeptics might be reconciled if the new adaptation establishes that Father Christmas exists in the world of Narnia prior to his scene. Then he might not seem "random" to some people.

I really like this idea. At the very least having a small simple moment of foreshadowing in the dialogue helps to take the edge off his appearance for anyone who's not fully expecting it and would otherwise perceive it as a "jumped the shark" moment.

Personally, I think that if they are looking to expand out the Chronicles as a whole to work in the long-form TV format, I'd actually go all in on Father Christmas and give even greater weight to his backstory - potentially tie him in somehow with other non-literal human personifications such as Father Time (who appears in both Silver Chair and Last Battle as far as I recall) and other specific "real-world" mythology characters such as Bachhus.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2023 5:27 pm
Crunchy-P
(@queencrunchytheweeb)
NarniaWeb Regular

Obviously when doing Father Christmas, it should be noted that we are most definitely have to change/remove his line "Battles are ugly when women are involved." to avoid any accusations of being sexist.

"Have a Narnian Day!" (ナルニアの日を過ごしましょう!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 21, 2023 2:26 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: