Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Eruption on 'Dragon Island' location

coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

This small island off the coast of New Zealand was the location for Dragon Island in the movie of Voyage of the Dawn Treader; I've lived in NZ most of my life, and this is the first time I've ever heard of death/injury there.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118058738/live-white-island-erupts

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118062136/why-were-people-on-white-island-volcano-when-it-erupted

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Topic starter Posted : December 8, 2019 5:41 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

Sadly it's worse news to wake up to this morning in New Zealand.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118058 ... and-erupts

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Topic starter Posted : December 9, 2019 6:40 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

It's horrible, Coracle. My prayers are with all those affected, especially those who've lost loved ones.

Did they have any warning, by the way, that an eruption was imminent? I must admit I don't know much about active volcanoes, coming from a country that doesn't have any.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

Posted : December 9, 2019 7:20 am
JFG II
(@jfg-ii)
NarniaWeb Regular

To think that this recent disaster - which took multiple lives - occurs in a spot that was a tourist destination, a spot that was once peacefully used as a major location in the 3rd Narnia film (released 9 years ago to the day), makes me sad. I’m glad many are praying for the people caught in this tragedy. My thoughts are with them.

Posted : December 10, 2019 9:32 am
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

So it really was volcanic like they said in the movie? That's a horrible way to find out! Praying for the recovery of the injured and the comfort of the bereaved.

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

Posted : December 10, 2019 10:36 am
coracle
(@coracle)

The island is just offshore from a big area called the Volcanic Plateau, containing three large dormant volcanoes, hot springs/geysers, etc.

Eight people have not been recovered, but the rescuers have been praised for their courage in dangerous situation.

Topic starter Posted : December 10, 2019 10:50 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

There have been further developments since then, but there are still people to be found & the danger of another eruption increases. When looking at news footage I found myself wondering why the landscape looked so familiar, then looking at this thread, the penny dropped. I remember from the VDT film the beach where the Dawn Treader crew camped for the night, then the pathway leading away from the beach which Eustace took, then the whole layout of that island. A decade ago it was quite safe to film there.

Further news, those injured Australians who are able to be transferred are being flown back home to free up New Zealand resources. There are still 3 Australians missing.

Posted : December 10, 2019 10:02 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

There are recovery efforts this morning to find and bring back the remaining 8 bodies. At the same time, there is a risk of further eruption.

Local Maori elders have imposed a "rahui", on the whole area until all the bodies are recovered.

It was a prohibition that protected the area from spiritual impediments and prohibits acts in the area such as fishing, gathering seafood, swimming and boating in the area.

The article that came from also tells the legend of the origin of the island.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118161134/ensuring-rhui-is-honoured-a-huge-task-for-cultural-advisor

UPDATE: Six bodies have been airlifted off the island, and the other two have not been found.

Topic starter Posted : December 12, 2019 6:45 am
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

This is a bit late, but I'm really sorry to hear about what has happened!

My thoughts/prayers will be with everyone affected as well as Australia/New Zealand as a whole.

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

Posted : December 14, 2019 6:52 am
mm1991
(@mm1991)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Thoughts and prayers to all involved! So sad!

"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

Posted : December 14, 2019 9:16 am
coracle
(@coracle)

The number of deaths has gone up to 16. There were 47 people on the island, and many had serious burns.

Topic starter Posted : December 14, 2019 3:28 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

As per this morning's news there are still two people missing, but one was said to be in the water around the island. The New Zealand Army has gone to some trouble to rescue everyone & to find the last six bodies. One of the two missing people is said to be Australian. This morning the Ovation of the Seas, the cruise ship concerned, was docked at Circular Quay in Sydney Harbour, still very murky from the bushfires from the Mount Tomah area in the Candlewick Mountains. Yes, it is most regrettable that this terrible incident happened, & my deepest sympathies to the families of those killed, as well as those injured.

Posted : December 15, 2019 12:58 pm
Share: