Notifications
Clear all

Cavern Tavern II

Page 11 / 13
Lady Arwen
(@wren)
The Mermod Moderator

Holiday Mansion 2020: The Party Where Waters Poisoned Everyone

Well, seems we got one down (up?) and one to go....

Sorry, @risto--but, I guess I answered the ladder question already  Giggle  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 28, 2020 11:44 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Holiday Mansion 2020

@Wren, No worries. I figured it out. Smile  

So, I’m noticing it spreading amongst the characters that 1. Junior slapped the bull (in my original post, I did write that it was a pat) and 2. Junior is ill-mannered. I want to clarify that Junior can be single-minded and will defend his honor, but he is not meant to be, generally speaking, an ill-mannered character. Quite the opposite. He is however, (coincidentally) a bull in a china shop ( ROFL ) which I understand may be taken as bad manners by certain characters, especially, in this case, the bull. So yes, I understand if some characters are put off by Junior, but I wanted to make it clear that it is not my intention to make Junior a villain.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 29, 2020 10:40 pm
Lady Arwen
(@wren)
The Mermod Moderator

Holiday Mansion 2020/Character Development

@risto, I guess this is a good point to reflect on how a character's character shines through. Junior comes across as an overbearing, egocentric man--a sort of "bride at every wedding, corpse at every funeral" sort of guy. Usually, when someone brings a character like this, they are meant to be full of themselves and unaware of the inconvenience and irritation they are causing everyone else (see Mr. Waters and the squirrel-toting Lady Ottillia for reference). I certainly thought that was your intention--and thought it was a rather brilliant way to illustrate how "gentlemen" convinced women to invent poke bonnets, hoop skirts, and the infamous long hatpins.

But all that is beside the point--if you feel Junior is not meant to be that sort of character, I recommend sitting down and taking a close look at how you write him, rather than telling everyone to read him differently. Perhaps it is time to figure out what Junior's weaknesses are, or why he feels compelled to solve everyone's problems the moment they are thought of. There might be some really interesting backstory potential there! You might also take a listen to Ginny Di's advice for roleplaying in a group (please ignore the title--the points are useful, even to the most experienced roleplayer)!

If you would like someone to help you workshop Junior into a more likable character, feel free to drop me a note! I've done a lot of work on characters in a lot of different roleplaying settings, and I don't mind doing a little bit of mentoring. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 29, 2020 11:54 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

Holiday Mansion 2020

@risto
So, I read the initial pat as a heavy one since it wasn't qualified - the equivalent of walking up to someone and giving them a firm clap on the shoulder - and that was how the bull viewed it too. I agree that the kick was a bit of an overreaction, but I also know people who - if you would walk up behind them and startle them with a clap on the back - are very likely to punch you first and then ask questions (and maybe apologise) later. The bull already admitted it was an overreaction and apologised for any injuries, but he also wasn't going to stand there docilely and not bat an eye. Again, slap vs. pat to me seems to largely be due to a) force and b) intention - the bull couldn't read Junior's intention and force can be misjudged when you've been startled by it. The villain comment was solely the bull's internal dialogue and was definitely a dramatic reaction/exaggeration.
All that to say, though, the bull has now walked away, leaving Junior free to carry on with your other objectives for him. Smile

@Ryadian, I don't remember for sure if Faye is at the dessert table (where is the dessert table? Are there multiple dessert tables?), but she doesn't seem to have followed the Baxters outside. If she has or does, the bull will adjust. Giggle

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 30, 2020 6:38 am
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Holiday Mansion 2020

@wren, Thanks for the offer to workshop Junior. I’ll take you up on that offer. Smile  

@valiantarcher, I think Mr. Norro kicking Junior was understandable and made for a humorous and exciting episode.
Also, thanks for the explanation above, as it confirms that I was interpreting the character more-or-less correctly. Smile  

This post was modified 3 years ago by Movie Aristotle

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 30, 2020 12:58 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

Holiday Mansion 2020

Movie Aristotle, I'm glad that helped clarify/confirm things. Smile

Does anyone know if there is actually any character at the dessert table currently? Otherwise, the bull may resort to helping himself to the cookies. Tongue

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 30, 2020 8:04 pm
aileth
(@aileth)
Member Moderator

Holiday Mansion 2020

@valiantarcher

I don't mind if he helps himself, but other people might be more finicky.  Molly could be there if you'd like her to be Smile Getting something to keep Mr Waters out of mischief

Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 30, 2020 8:23 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

Holiday Mansion 2020

@aileth, that was my thought too - no one seemed to mind Mel-the-St-Bernard helping herself, but the bull might be a different story. Giggle I'll wait a bit longer and will let you know if it becomes necessary to take you up on your offer - thank you! Smile

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 30, 2020 8:33 pm
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @valiantarcher

@Ryadian, I don't remember for sure if Faye is at the dessert table (where is the dessert table? Are there multiple dessert tables?), but she doesn't seem to have followed the Baxters outside. If she has or does, the bull will adjust. Giggle

Sorry for the late reply! Faye was in kind of a nebulous place, so now I'm pretending she was by the dessert table. 😉

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 2, 2021 8:55 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

Holiday Mansion 2020

No problem - thanks, Rya! Smile Thanks for letting Faye actually be at the dessert table - the bull made it over to reply to Faye (and acknowledge Ian). Giggle

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 3, 2021 6:56 pm
Arwen_Daeneri31
(@arwen_daeneri31)
NarniaWeb Nut

I dont know which character to use for the blossom festival, I could use the one I have been using but I also have my DnD character if that is allowed. Or my OCs from the games I play...its been awhile

This post was modified 3 years ago by Arwen_Daeneri31

It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.
–C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 28, 2021 12:50 pm
Lady Arwen
(@wren)
The Mermod Moderator

Character Selection

@arwen_daeneri31 I am assuming your D&D character is an original character, so I think that would work! My only advice would be if you have a very specific to D&D race, like a genasi, that you perhaps redefined them as some thing else (like a fire elemental).

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2021 1:53 pm
Arwen_Daeneri31
(@arwen_daeneri31)
NarniaWeb Nut

@wren I have a high elf character if that works. I can just call her an elf.

It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.
–C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2021 2:06 pm
Lady Arwen
(@wren)
The Mermod Moderator

Character Selections

I think high elves span a variety of types of literature. It is up to you what you decide to do. I look forward to meeting her!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2021 5:14 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

Blossom Festival 2021

Mel the writer has a shopping list for Mel the dog, should anyone want to help dress her in fair attire:

• pastel sunglasses
  • a necklace of tiny eggs
  • possibly also a necklace of flowers
  • bunny ears

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 31, 2021 9:18 pm
Page 11 / 13
Share: